Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Health clubs and parking (low content)

Has anyone else noticed that people seem to make an illogical effort to find close parking at health clubs? At my club, it is common to see people waiting for a car to pull out so that they can get a spot close to the entrance. Personally, I just drive out to the far end of the lot. My theory is that I am there to work out and will be on a treadmill within 10-15 minutes anyway, so why try to park close by?

It just seems very illogical to me. I can understand trying to get a spot right next to the door of the doughnut shop, but doing this at a health club is very inconsistent IMHO. FWIW, this club is in a very up-scale location and crime is not a major concern.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Health clubs and parking (low content)

yeah, people are dumb...

walk to the gym [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Well I completely understand that behavior living in houston. Walking in 95 degree 100% humidity is not enjoyable, and for me that drains tons of energy in a small amount of time. Walking outside for 5 minutes before working out has very detrimental effects on my routine.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Why spend any time worrying about what other people are doing at the gym?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I completely understand that behavior living in houston. Walking in 95 degree 100% humidity is not enjoyable, and for me that drains tons of energy in a small amount of time. Walking outside for 5 minutes before working out has very detrimental effects on my routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've always been very sensitive to heat too. It seems to stick with me long after I've come indoors, for hours. That's a long time to be uncomfortable or feel drained.

Probably it's natural competitive that does this though. You see the same thing at the supermarket, anywhere really.

Usually I try to park where my car won't get scratched, which is away from the end of a row, or a high traffic area. But on a hot day, even a short walk can soak you in sweat and taste like burning.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Good point. I generally do not worry about what other people are doing. One of the things I like about poker is the opportunity to observe people's behavior. Illogical behavior just confuses me for some reason. Kind of like the guy who calls with his inside straight draw, then checks on the button when it hits.

For the record, I live in Seattle, so heat/humidity is not an issue. I am also talking about non-rainy days (yes, we do have a few).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 AM

I think (to lazy to look for it) a gym in California I believe has a hill with stairs leading up to it...but don't worry an ESCALATOR is right beside those stairs. Yep, an escalator to avoid walking up stairs on an entrance to a gym.

I also enjoy people who come to the gym just to walk...they don't do anything but walk on the treadmill...even on beautiful days.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoy people who come to the gym just to walk...they don't do anything but walk on the treadmill...even on beautiful days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its because they read it in a magazine, so they better do what the magazine says.