Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

[ QUOTE ]
if you hang with ballers like jason strasser like i did on my last trip to vegas, you circumvent this problem by taking limos

[/ QUOTE ]

My late brother used to do the limo thang but mentioned that the expected tip to those guys was generally more than the corresponding taxi fare.

The real reason for using the hotel limo should be for (sense of) security.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

I probably had pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

rats. next time i will be less concerned about annoying/horrifying you by having a total stranger ask you for weed.

[/ QUOTE ]

PB ... don't you think that a "sup bro, got some weed" would come across as a request from a friend, not a stranger? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

NCAces
Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
El D,

Has there been a full fledged scrippa tipping thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how has no one mentioned the fact that you are supposed to tip the dude who opens the cab door for you $1 each time you get in the cab line? Those guys make like 100K/year. Only in Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought/think these guys exist to be bribed when necessary. Last vegas trip we were drunk and needed to get somewhere and the cab line at caesar's was like 200 people long. $20 to the cab door guy got us right past the line.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 AM

I ain't in Vegas but I take cabs [censored] everywhere. I favor a particular company and end up paying less when I have to run out and pick [censored] up because the cabbies will turn the meter off for me if I have to go in somewhere. The 30% I tip is well worth it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a Vegas Cabbie and the answer is simple.CHEAP PEOPLE LIKE YOU ! A dollar forty or dollar twenty tip. WoW ! Last of the Big Spenders !

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an ass (whether or not you're an actual cabbie in LV). A $6 cab ride should get more than a 25% tip????? Gimme a goddam break. It's not like the guy got a $38.50 cab ride and left the cabbie with $40 - that would be a shaft. How long does a $6 cab ride last? 4 minutes? Yeah that should be worth like a 70% tip (rolls eyes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tim,,,
FK YOU !
Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 AM

I think the reason that I tip generously on cab rides is that I have a friend who used to drive a taxi, and at least in his case I learned that cab drivers are compensated far less than you think.

I can't remember exactly how it worked but he had to pay a high hourly rental fee to the cab company. Some of you guys seem to think that if you get a $30 ride and tip $5, the cabby is pocketing $35.

But I think if you amoritize his rental fee or whatever over the duration of your cab ride, he basically makes little more than whatever you tip.

Not sure though. Hopefully the LV cab driver can give us the details.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a Vegas Cabbie and the answer is simple.CHEAP PEOPLE LIKE YOU ! A dollar forty or dollar twenty tip. WoW ! Last of the Big Spenders !

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an ass (whether or not you're an actual cabbie in LV). A $6 cab ride should get more than a 25% tip????? Gimme a goddam break. It's not like the guy got a $38.50 cab ride and left the cabbie with $40 - that would be a shaft. How long does a $6 cab ride last? 4 minutes? Yeah that should be worth like a 70% tip (rolls eyes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tim,,,
FK YOU !

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so hilarious. I hope more cabbies will come here to insult poker players for not leaving enough tip, but also dealers, waitresses and other tip hustlers. I think some of them even do it in their blogs! (Yeayea, that cabbie might not be real, but I still wellcome them here to tell their opinnion.)

It's funny that even poker players don't understand that tip hunting is a game - like poker, but much less honest. The hustler has maybe ten or twenty favourite lines to pick and say to his opponent, that will increase the money flow he will rake in. The opponent (or victim of hustling) needs a character that is not easily influenced by the hustlers' tricks. Are you a winner or loser in this game?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could you pitch better please? if you pitched as well as you posted, i'd be a happy man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he would pitch better if you tipped him a buck or two after every out.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i am still shocked that the dealer for the farha/aba matchup in bobbys room and wrote about how they didnt tip her on her blog has a job. She should have been fired the next morning imo.