Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Brag: Starting Aikido

[ QUOTE ]

If I felt my well being was in serious danger on the street and was forced to fight I wouldn't go boxing/grappling on someone. I'd gouge his eyeball, break his knee, and collapse his windpipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think you'd get in a position to do those moves?
- Taking him down (wrestling, Judo)
- Stunning him with strikes (boxing, muay thai, etc.)
- Obtaining a dominant position like the mount (BJJ)

Guess what that adds up to? MMA.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with MMA-style competition is that all the nasty little moves that would be ok on the street are not allowed.

This gives a huge advantage to grappling/boxing style fighting.

Some of the more layed back styles involve doing crippling attacks on an opponent. If these were used in a MMA fight you'd probably get arrested or thrown out for sure.

If I felt my well being was in serious danger on the street and was forced to fight I wouldn't go boxing/grappling on someone. I'd gouge his eyeball, break his knee, and collapse his windpipe.

Btw I can't comment on Aikido too much. Never really studied it. I trained for a number of years in Kempo then spent many years researching/studying other styles on my own.

Most of them involve using deadly force on sensitive areas of the body (where all the strength and size in the world won't save you).

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ thinking you can crush someone's windpipe, break their knee and [censored] without ever having done it for real. And without the guy who taught you having done it for real. And the guy who taught him...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on the situation.

If a grappler came after me, what do you think I'm going to do? I'm not going to stick out my arms and try to prevent this, he'll take me down for sure, and then I'm dead.

I would create as much distance as possible. The next time he lunges at me, he's going to catch a knee to the face. Following up by either: more distance (if the knee didn't stun him), or a blow to the head that's sending him to the ground which he won't be getting up from.

As for breaking his knee. I'd probably do this more vs a traditional boxing style. If someone wants to keep the range of the fight near arm's length, then a boxer is going to get destroyed.

He punches me, I parry or duck/evade, then blow out his knee. It wouldn't take more than a few seconds for the fight to end.

Unfortunately this actually happened in real life. I got jumped. He had a pretty big size advantage on me (over 30 pounds, and a few inches).

This is how it went down:

I was 17, and walking home in the middle of the night. Someone came at me from behind and attempted to strangle me (reached around my neck from behind).

Before his grip was even secured, I created enough distance and turned around to see what was up.

A bit of shouting went back and forth ("what the fk?, etc). He put up his hands and charged at me.

I sidestepped and blew out his knee. It was over in about 3 seconds. I waited around to see what was going to happen, but he just layed there grunting in pain so I left.

Welcome to a real fight.

As for gouging an eye or attacking their throat it really comes down to the situation at hand. If I happen to be on the ground and my hand is free and their face is exposed, my first thought would be to gouge his eye.

The intentions would not be to remove his eyeball, but just to distract/stun him. I wouldn't want to inflict life altering injuries unless I was forced to do so.

The same goes for a throat attack. If I was in a pretty cramped area (say a bar, or a small alley) and someone confronted/attacked me, I'd take a quick stab at his throat and go from there.

It would be unlikely to NEED to literally crush his windpipe, but if that situation really did come up, it's not exactly difficult. It wouldn't involve grabbing for his throat and trying to crush it though.

It would be the result of a previous setup move. Like punching his collar bone, then using the side of my hand to strike under his chin, exposing his neck. A "hard" strike alone would be enough to break it, but I'd probably opt for a 1 hand strangle giving him a chance to calm down or make him pass out.

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ thinking you can crush someone's windpipe, break their knee and [censored] without ever having done it for real. And without the guy who taught you having done it for real. And the guy who taught him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right because you're someone who has access to everything I've done in my life? Wait.. who are you again?

You're right though, I never actually had to crush someones windpipe. I'm thankful for this too.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with MMA-style competition is that all the nasty little moves that would be ok on the street are not allowed.

This gives a huge advantage to grappling/boxing style fighting.

Some of the more layed back styles involve doing crippling attacks on an opponent. If these were used in a MMA fight you'd probably get arrested or thrown out for sure.

Btw I can't comment on Aikido too much. Never really studied it. I trained for a number of years in Kempo then spent many years researching/studying other styles on my own.

Most of them involve using deadly force on sensitive areas of the body (where all the strength and size in the world won't save you).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That is why I prefer my instructors have some Military training, even if they didn't learn the particular MA they are teaching me while in the military, at least I can be comforted to know they've laid someone the [censored] down with some form of H2H combat. My current instructor is an ex Israeli Special Forces vet, who went through Israel's training, then later took a 6 month leave and trained in H2H combat with 2 former KGB spies learning Russian Combat Sambo in the early 90's. He then studied "Competition" (see, pussy) Sambo, and received a Master status in Sambo. Israeli Special Forces, Ex KGB, one of the assistants at the gym is a retired SEAL, these combination leads to unfiltered, practical combat knowledge. I couldn't last 10 seconds in any MMA ring without getting dq'd, but I don't care. The skills I have suit me fine.
~Mike
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 AM

I think anybody mildly athletic could kick the [censored] out of those aikido guys. It's a bunch of fat balding 50 year olds wearing skirts and pretending to get thrown around.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on the situation.

If a grappler came after me, what do you think I'm going to do? I'm not going to stick out my arms and try to prevent this, he'll take me down for sure, and then I'm dead.

I would create as much distance as possible. The next time he lunges at me, he's going to catch a knee to the face. Following up by either: more distance (if the knee didn't stun him), or a blow to the head that's sending him to the ground which he won't be getting up from.

As for breaking his knee. I'd probably do this more vs a traditional boxing style. If someone wants to keep the range of the fight near arm's length, then a boxer is going to get destroyed.

He punches me, I parry or duck/evade, then blow out his knee. It wouldn't take more than a few seconds for the fight to end.

Unfortunately this actually happened in real life. I got jumped. He had a pretty big size advantage on me (over 30 pounds, and a few inches).

This is how it went down:

I was 17, and walking home in the middle of the night. Someone came at me from behind and attempted to strangle me (reached around my neck from behind).

Before his grip was even secured, I created enough distance and turned around to see what was up.

A bit of shouting went back and forth ("what the fk?, etc). He put up his hands and charged at me.

I sidestepped and blew out his knee. It was over in about 3 seconds. I waited around to see what was going to happen, but he just layed there grunting in pain so I left.

Welcome to a real fight.

As for gouging an eye or attacking their throat it really comes down to the situation at hand. If I happen to be on the ground and my hand is free and their face is exposed, my first thought would be to gouge his eye.

The intentions would not be to remove his eyeball, but just to distract/stun him. I wouldn't want to inflict life altering injuries unless I was forced to do so.

The same goes for a throat attack. If I was in a pretty cramped area (say a bar, or a small alley) and someone confronted/attacked me, I'd take a quick stab at his throat and go from there.

It would be unlikely to NEED to literally crush his windpipe, but if that situation really did come up, it's not exactly difficult. It wouldn't involve grabbing for his throat and trying to crush it though.

It would be the result of a previous setup move. Like punching his collar bone, then using the side of my hand to strike under his chin, exposing his neck. A "hard" strike alone would be enough to break it, but I'd probably opt for a 1 hand strangle giving him a chance to calm down or make him pass out.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right because you're someone who has access to everything I've done in my life? Wait.. who are you again?

You're right though, I never actually had to crush someones windpipe. I'm thankful for this too.

[/ QUOTE ]dude, just stop
Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rofl doing this feeling u need to protect urself

stop being a lil girly m an

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because real men don't prepare for things. Eat cheetos until you can fight good.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 PM

llloooooooooooooooooooolll at the one hand strangle. I want to see how an trained or even an untrained opponent will be stopped by a 'one hand strangle'. ahahahahaahahahahahahhhhhhhaaaaa.

There are very real moves that are illegal in MMA, such as fishhooking, eye gouging, throat strikes, but this guy sounds like a 14 watching bruce lee movies. 'one handed strangle' omfg i'm dying here.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are very real moves that are illegal in MMA, such as fishhooking, eye gouging, throat strikes, but this guy sounds like a 14 watching bruce lee movies. 'one handed strangle' omfg i'm dying here.

[/ QUOTE ]

reach around your own neck with one or two hands. Press your thumbs into your windpipe and see how that feels. Pretty nasty, isn't it?

Granted, that it's pretty hard to get a hold of someone's neck like that, but it's possible. I really really doubt a good grappler will even let you get any decent grip on any part of their body, so this move obviously isn't a magic bullet, however, I think it's a good self defense move, and nothing to be laughed at.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM

I'm going to learn aikido and then aikido my way to some sort of martial arts awesomeness, and when you guys go "aikido sucks" I'll aikido you something fierce. Yeah.