Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: If you are a male and you can hit the ball, Play from the back tee

since when do 20-25 handicaps "hit the ball consistently pretty good"? 20 handicaps should be playing for fun and from the middle tee.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 PM

50% of players are already playing too far back. Players that play from the Men's tee should be playing from the Senior's tee, etc., but their ego gets in the way.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you keep getting better and get to about a 20-25, where you hit the ball consistently pretty good, you need to move back.

[/ QUOTE ]You want 25 handicappers to go back a set of tees? Give me a break. Between this and the idea that tour pros play fast, this thread is just a total joke. You have no idea what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. If you're overly concerned with what tees other people are playing from you should probably reevaluate why you play the game and why this bothers you so much.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It takes them minutes per shot. Some (Verplank and Garcia) are excruciatingly slow, taking 5 minutes per shot. Verplank's tee routine is ridiculous -- Garcia stands over approaches for 4-6 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see 2 pga tournaments per year. I have followed sergio a number of times. 4-6 minutes is an absolute joke. He fidgets over the ball for about 20 seconds and has basically no preshot routine, so he is really about average in his pace of play. However, i don't see him in majors, maybe he is slower in majors or something. Watch the majority of pga tour pros live, they step up, tee it up, and hit the ball. where they are slow is around the greens, which i have to say is pretty okay with me, seeing as they are playing for millions of dollars.

And there are obviously all types of golfers.......the 20-25 handicapper who can't hit the ball and the 20-25 handicapper who can't chip/putt. What I am saying is that if you can hit the ball a long ways consistently, it is pretty weak to play less than 6k yards.

If your goal while playing golf is just basically to drink beer, have a good time, and screw around, then it is perfectly fine to play from wherever you want. But I see guys all the time who are obviously taking the game seriously and are trying to get better who conceivably can drive every par 4 on the course and are playing a 5200 yard course--------weak.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I see guys all the time who are obviously taking the game seriously and are trying to get better who conceivably can drive every par 4 on the course and are playing a 5200 yard course--------weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should stop playing courses where the middle tees are 5200.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the majority of pga tour pros live, they step up, tee it up, and hit the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is all after they've studied the lie/distance/pin location for 5 minutes. PGA Tour pros are not fast, there's no two ways about it.

[ QUOTE ]
But I see guys all the time who are obviously taking the game seriously and are trying to get better who conceivably can drive every par 4 on the course and are playing a 5200 yard course--------weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
What edtost said.

Fwiw, I hit the ball pretty far and I can count the par 4's I've tried to drive on one hand. I play from the back tees 90% of the time, but I can't imagine I'd be going after a lot more if I were playing the whites.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My god this post is just pathetic, Weiner. How does it affect you if some other guy is playing from the white tees? I agree with whoever said it's far more annoying to be behind someone playing from the back tees just to show off.

Do you get mad at adults using bumpers in bowling too? Do you think that they shouldn't be using bumpers if they can bowl a score of 100+ without? Maybe you get mad at people who ski the shallowest and shortest slopes when, in your overrated opinion, they should be on the intermediate one.

Unless you're playing a competitive golf match with those people, like for money, it's absolutely none of your business because they certainly aren't slowing you down. In fact, they're saving you time.

Piss off [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM

WTF OP??? If i feel like playing a round with my buddies who cant play well im not going to make them play from 6800 yards and shoot 137. I will play from shorter tees and let them have more fun by shooting 98 from 6100 yards. I myself can handle basically any length course and still shoot well, but it is far more enjoyable to play from shorter distances just to mix things up.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 AM

As a small hijack of the thread, I hate courses with only three sets of tees and a giant gap from the middle tees to the back. Went golfing with the old man the other day and our choices were the middle tees at 6100 or the back tees at 7200. I don't want to play over 7000 and my dad flat out refuses to play over it but 6100 is quite short.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It takes them minutes per shot. Some (Verplank and Garcia) are excruciatingly slow, taking 5 minutes per shot. Verplank's tee routine is ridiculous -- Garcia stands over approaches for 4-6 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see 2 pga tournaments per year. I have followed sergio a number of times. 4-6 minutes is an absolute joke. He fidgets over the ball for about 20 seconds and has basically no preshot routine, so he is really about average in his pace of play. However, i don't see him in majors, maybe he is slower in majors or something. Watch the majority of pga tour pros live, they step up, tee it up, and hit the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a flat lie.

[ QUOTE ]
Vijay Singh is the latest to complain. Following a 5-hour round at the Barclays Classic, Singh told the Associated Press, "It's ridiculous. I mean, you play a round of golf in five hours and wait on every shot. It's just like the officials are just blind."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Padraig Harrington, which we were intentionally not doing, how much entertainment value do you get out of watching paint dry? How slow is Harrington? He's so slow, they don't put him on the clock, the put him on the sundial. He's so slow his clothes go out of style during a round. He's so slow if he were on The Big Break they'd need more than one Roman numeral to name it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Asked how many slow guys exist on the tour, Nelson guesses 30 to 40. An unscientific poll of players and caddies yields an impressive list of snails: José Maria Olazábal, Nick Faldo, K.J. Choi, Ben Crane, Billy Mayfair, Padraig Harrington, Mark Brooks, Sergio Garcia, Niclas (Not So) Fasth and Pierre Fulke, in addition to the much-maligned Hourglass Twins, Bernhard Langer and Glen (All) Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crane's Slow Play Bothers Sabbatini

These were all on the first page of the search results for PGA slow play. I'm sure I could find a few more by spending 2 more minutes on it.