Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Time to move up levels SnG?

I'm lately playing a combo of $1, $2 and a couple $3+ SnG's on Full Tilt and PokerStars. Over my last 35 games, I have a profit of about $68. Getting in the money around 75% of the time. I have done well the few times I've tried the $3+ games. Roll is small as I'm just getting started (about $225 now). At what point should I consider moving up a level? What sample size would be sufficient to demonstrate my skill level relative to the competition?

Thanks...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Time to move up levels SnG?

u make no sense.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm lately playing a combo of $1, $2 and a couple $3+ SnG's on Full Tilt and PokerStars. Over my last 35 games, I have a profit of about $68. Getting in the money around 75% of the time. I have done well the few times I've tried the $3+ games. Roll is small as I'm just getting started (about $225 now). At what point should I consider moving up a level? What sample size would be sufficient to demonstrate my skill level relative to the competition?

Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

After 1000 you should probably have a good idea if you are a winner or not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm honestly not sure what the standard roll for SnGs is these days but you should have enough to take shot at the $5's if you feel up to it. If you thinks start poorly and you loose 10 buyins or so then consider moving back down.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

After 1000 you should probably have a good idea if you are a winner or not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm honestly not sure what the standard roll for SnGs is these days but you should have enough to take shot at the $5's if you feel up to it. If you thinks start poorly and you loose 10 buyins or so then consider moving back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

38 is a tiny sample size. 1,000 starts to give you a rough indication. 50 buy-ins are about right, but be willing to move down. Make it 80-100 but-ins if you are comlpetely unwilling to reload. Despite that, I would move up to the $5.50s or $6.50s just because of the rake difference.

Check out the STT forum to improve your game.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM

Yep, I realize that my sample size is way small right now. I think I will try the $4 game and hover there to get to 1000 games and see where I am at then.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM

If you play just one or two tables, you should probably be alright with just 20 buy-ins. So at stars I would try out the 6.5's and move down to the 3.4's if your roll dropped to 100. If you would like to multi-table and become a professional you will need about 200 buy-ins. Also, for further reference when talking about sngs people usually use ROI (Return on investment) not profit to talk about how they are doing.