Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Sets vs. Continuous? Your reasons.

12 table stars in sets

Continuous is way too hectic especially when you want to be in the same frame of mind for each table. When I get 8-12 tables near the bubble it's nearly impossible for me to take the time to load up others and still concentrate on ones I have.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hate to sound like a complete fool but what is the difference between sets and continuous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sets: Start up 6 (or 4 or 8) and play them all to completion. Then start another 6.

Continuous: Start up 6 and when you go bust in 1 start up a new one so you are always playing 6 at a time.

Velocity
Old 03-02-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if u play speeds in sets, yer retarded. 10 tabling continuous speeds will get probably MORE than twice as many as in sets. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

good2cu plays in sets?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think he does anymore. if he does ill make sure to tell him hes retarded. holla
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 AM

12 table contin, why? thats simple i like $$$
Old 03-02-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if u play speeds in sets, yer retarded. 10 tabling continuous speeds will get probably MORE than twice as many as in sets. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

By the same logic you would be retarded for not playing 15 hours a day.

I'd rather be comfortable with the way I am playing and feel fresh after a day of playing instead of running straight into a wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

my humble apologies. if you care about $/hr, you wont play in sets. its not even close to the same logic. holla
Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather be comfortable with the way I am playing and feel fresh after a day of playing instead of running straight into a wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

my humble apologies. if you care about $/hr, you wont play in sets. its not even close to the same logic. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that pretty much all of us here can probably make more money by either adding tables/hours/switching to cointinuous but choose not to. Money is an important factor but so is being able to play 20-25 days a month without getting jaded.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:24 AM

Continuous.

If I'm ITM on a few tables at once and I need to concentrate, I'll just wait 'til I've finished a few tourneys to start new ones.

I'm a wuss who only does four at once, though.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that pretty much all of us here can probably make more money by either adding tables/hours/switching to cointinuous but choose not to. Money is an important factor but so is being able to play 20-25 days a month without getting jaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

This kind of thing is highly individual too. There's no one right answer because different people are capable of different things.

Some people can play continuously without much strain. Others can do it for only a few hours before feeling like they really need a good long break. And for yet others it's not the style of play but the number of tables that pushes play from enjoyable or manageable to irritating or exhausting.

If you're the type it doesn't wear on, obviously playing continuously, and as many tables as possible, is the way to go. But others might be able to actually get more games in by playing in sets instead, and not getting worn out or feeling nutty.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 AM

I played continuous tonight for the first time in a while. After 2 hours, my eyes were burning, i had to pee like crazy and I was feeling generally disgruntled and uncomfortable.

Plus, and here's my big problem. If I decide to take a break after a couple of hours, i have to wait until all the tourneys I have going with very staggered starts finish. So I always end up having like 1 table open for 20 minutes while it finishes up. I find that incredibly annoying and I have a hard time playing my A game in that last tourney.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 AM

i play sets of 8, i can't play continuous because i get burned out and end up playing fewer sngs/day.

i think a good alternative to playing continuous is to start up a couple of ring games at the end of your set. that way you're using the empty screen space but then you stop as soon as all your sngs end and take your short break before starting the next set.