Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: I\'m thinking of instituting a new tipping policy

I can answer this from both sides of the fence since i started as a player and then started dealing in underground clubs.

Player persepective - I feel as if the dealers are performing a service for us as players. Should our tips be based on the quality of service that the dealers provide to us, yes and no. If a dealer is fast and precise they are going to get out more hands to players and in turn recieve more tips as opposed to a dealer who is slower when pitching cards, figuring out side pots, etc. As a player, if a dealer is constantly exposing cards, being mundanely slow, and making the game seem boring, i wont stiff the dealer, but you will not see me tip more than 1$ on any pot. If a dealer is fast, getting out hands, extremely friendly, has complete control over his/her table, ill most likely tip 2-3$ on any decent sized pot, and red birds will be going down on any bigger pots. Also, if a dealer seems ungrateful for a 1$ tip when the pot was decent size, then that dealer will receieve 1$ tips forever. Sometimes when I am losing Ill only tip 1$ no matter what, some dealers dont understand that. I will always tip at least 1$ unless i just steal blinds because yes, the dealers are still performing a service for the players, and they live off the tips, same could be said for waiters/waitresses. If a waiter is slow and not giving or my party the attention i feel is deserved, the tip will reflect that.

As a dealer - I pride myself on taking time to learn the games, the procedures, and techniques. I am always grateful for a tip no matter what the size of the tip is. Whether it be 1$ or 5$, the money is still going in my pocket at the end of the night. Knowing what it takes to keep a table upbeat and moving, i am friendly and energenic. I find that keeping a table upbeat keeps the players in a good mood, and generally the tips are better. If i get stiffed, life goes on, although its not a good feeling when you ship someone a 5-600$ pot (i deal mainly 1/2 and 2/5 NL games) and the player doesnt throw anything back to you. Although I am upset, I dont let this affect my mood or show it to the players. I have regulars in one of the clubs I work in that will tip me even if they steal the blinds, and i have regulars who will ship me a red bird on only a 100$ pot. But then I have the guys who will stiff me on a 300$ pot. It happens though, and I am used to it.