Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Why all the NIT hating?

[ QUOTE ]

yah but it's a very specific type, especially that 'to the felt with AK'. The second is way more frequently exploitable (DUCY? not only does AK come up more, but if you have a strong read, you can play back with any hand, and I mean ANY, if you're both deep), and therefore juicier...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree these are the types you want play pots with spectulative hands with because if you hit you're getting a brand new stack.

As for a specific name I haven't heard one yet but someone needs to coin one.. I'll leave that to the creative mbrs of this forum.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 PM

I know I run kind of nitty overall (14/7/2.5), but the thing that bothers me is that often I will be one of the most aggressive and active players in the game.

The deciding factor is usually my table position, ie - the players to my right or left. If I have a couple nits or Tags on my left I am raising really light in LP, likewise if just one or two of these players limp to me (I am counting on a c-bet taking the pot a large % of the time). In these situations I can run ~22/12 for the entire session.

However, when I have LAG or LP players on my left, I shut down almost completely. I revert to a super nitty game (like 10/5), because my folding equity (both pre and post flop) goes way down. The same holds true for when one or two of these players limp in front of me - my standards go way up because I feel like I need more SD value vs players who call too much and blunt light raising and c-bets. I come across these kind of tables so often that the times I am playing this tight outweigh the times I am playing a more loose-aggressive style.

How do you guys who play the more loose and aggressive styles deal with 34/6, 42/9 56/1, etc players sitting on your left and/or limping in front of you? C-bets and raising light in LP seem like giving away money here because I get called so often.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys who play the more loose and aggressive styles deal with 34/6, 42/9 56/1, etc players sitting on your left and/or limping in front of you? C-bets and raising light in LP seem like giving away money here because I get called so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I really think when I have a player like this to my left I'm just better off getting up and moving tables. Otherwise by the end of the session I feel like I've slowly bled off chips since my hand never hits the flop when I need it to! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know I run kind of nitty overall (14/7/2.5), but the thing that bothers me is that often I will be one of the most aggressive and active players in the game.

The deciding factor is usually my table position, ie - the players to my right or left. If I have a couple nits or Tags on my left I am raising really light in LP, likewise if just one or two of these players limp to me (I am counting on a c-bet taking the pot a large % of the time). In these situations I can run ~22/12 for the entire session.

However, when I have LAG or LP players on my left, I shut down almost completely. I revert to a super nitty game (like 10/5), because my folding equity (both pre and post flop) goes way down. The same holds true for when one or two of these players limp in front of me - my standards go way up because I feel like I need more SD value vs players who call too much and blunt light raising and c-bets. I come across these kind of tables so often that the times I am playing this tight outweigh the times I am playing a more loose-aggressive style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...

You want to play more pots w/ pos. and marginal hands vs the bad players, then vs the TAG players...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I really think when I have a player like this to my left I'm just better off getting up and moving tables. Otherwise by the end of the session I feel like I've slowly bled off chips since my hand never hits the flop when I need it to! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you should play like a nit....

play like a nit against donks, lag against nits....btw I believe playing like a nit (12-15/6-8) will be profitable all the way up to the highest levels...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? So when a big fish sits to your left... you LEAVE?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you should play like a nit....

play like a nit against donks, lag against nits....btw I believe playing like a nit (12-15/6-8) will be profitable all the way up to the highest levels...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree, but even playing like a nit doesn't guarantee you won't bleed chips against a LAG on your left. When you raise anything other than a large pp you are missing the flop more times than not. Cbets are called and then the villain bets on a later street, or you figure there's no point in cbetting the missed flop and villain takes it there. Eventually you will hit a hand, but in the meantime it really does get frustrating to know what's happening and not really be able to do anything about it.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...

You want to play more pots w/ pos. and marginal hands vs the bad players, then vs the TAG players...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first half is right if he is speaking about steals. The less the player defends the blinds the more hands that are profitable.

However, I think the second half is off. Against loose players he shouldn't be raising as much trash, but should play more hands for value.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first half is right if he is speaking about steals. The less the player defends the blinds the more hands that are profitable.

However, I think the second half is off. Against loose players he shouldn't be raising as much trash, but should play more hands for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys suggesting that in these spots (re: at a table where you have loose players (passive or aggressive) on your left, and/or limping a lot in front of you) you adapt by not raising so much in LP (because your folding equity plays are blunted significantly) but still playing (re: limping) more when in position?

This is what I have been trying to do lately. I still run pretty aggressive when reasonable players are to my left or have limped, but when I am confined by looser players on my left and/or limping I raise light less but still play a lot of hands that have value in position.

What I was specifically talking about was being aggressive (re: raising, c-betting) in LP when you are in these tougher spots. At the 25nl/50nl most tables (with decent selection) have this kind of lineup. I feel like I am decent at adjusting to a table where LAG is more profitable, but most of the tables I find at these stakes have a number of loose players, which means that if I continue to 22/11 it up I am running into a lot of 33/15 or 46/2 types that each have their own reasons for not folding.

I am curious as to how you guys who maintain this kind of style overall do so when these spots are so common.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 AM

Players who don't fold and are passive = $$$$.

Try to isolate them with hands that stands to make something that can win a show down. Two overs is fine. If you don't make a hand then it didn't cost you much. If you do then you can value bet them all the way to the river.

Against more aggressive loose players (and we're talking the bad kind here) I play a bit tighter and let them bet my hands for me.