Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: June Low-Content Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I recently starting stacking my chips in huge weird towers so I couldn't count them.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always do this.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently starting stacking my chips in huge weird towers so I couldn't count them. I think you need to try this badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I already do this when I'm not winning because I get bored. I usually start out with like 25 tall stacks, then go to 30, then I get even more bored and just pile them up to the sky. This resulted in the pleasant surprise I mentioned last Thursday in the 75 where I thought I was 1k loser but had actually won 2400.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Who\'s Gonna Be In Vegas? (AKA Low Content Thread)

awww
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 AM

I think instead of focusing on winning money today I'm going to focus on not eating a million orders of chicken satay because my [censored] stomach is killing me and my last 2 or 3 meals have been peanut chicken sticks.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:30 AM

Commerce Part 2
Just by looking at his avatar, I always thought that PJ would be a black man. I’ve looked through Mid Stakes since I started lurking here, and I remember him having another avatar at some point, but I can’t remember what it was. However, I was sure he was a black dude. Thus, you can imagine how shocking it was to find out that he was a boring white guy. However, this was not as interesting as the racial revelation produced by his girlfriend(ZOMG PJ HAS YELLOW FEVER!!!).

His friend at the table told me that she always laughed at PJ when he lost while she was sweating him. I played along and said that all my friends laughed at me when I lost too. PJ’s girl had left and he chimed in that he had never had that problem because he had always won when his girlfriend was sweating him. He was 3/3 on sessions when his girlfriend was sweating him. At this point, I didn’t know he was PJ or even a 2+2er but I had a strong suspicion. The words “lucky bastard,” “sample size,” and “variance” immediately jumped into my head.

Having someone who doesn’t understand poker watching you lose is one of the worst situations in the poker world. Even people educated in the concepts of variance and long-run expectations don’t understand non-results oriented thinking. Who’s to blame them? Money is involved after all.

There was a time when I answered the inevitable question “How did you do?” after telling people I went to Bay 101 by saying “I made a lot of mistakes that I don’t normally make” or “I played well” before telling them how much $$$ I made or lost. Simple non-poker terminology for what I would tell a 2+2er. I figured I could convey to them how we think without using the lingo. I realized it was pointless when one of Stanford’s finest(definitely understood probability and EV better than I did) followed up by saying “Does that mean you made money?”

This is just like how surfers talk about how no one understands why they are always late because awesome waves just keeping coming. You can understand the disconnect in concept, but you don’t really get it unless you are one of them. I feel the same is true for us poker players. The reverse is true for someone who watches you win as well. Short-term success is immediately correlated with skill or being lucky just because outsiders don’t understand just how big a sample size is required to be a proven winner. It’s quite ironic for us actual players because we all see the LAGgy donk leave up a few racks every time we play. Sweaters are often surprised when I tell them how bad of a player that person is, but you can see it in their eyes. If you leave up, you’re going be looked upon highly. Lucky bastard indeed.

A few more hands pass on my final orbit including the KTo CO faced with a 3-bet by the button where it looks like a missed a flop check raise but drag the pot on the turn. I am in a good mood. PJs girlfriend comes back and they do the things that couples do. In the seat to my immediate right are whisperings of sweet nothings and other things that might embarrass PJ if I wrote them. My final hand passes as I muck a single 3 without looking at the other card. After PJ mucks his BB I get his attention. Despite the fact that he has broken my cardinal rule of never having a girl you are interested in/dating sweat you unless she insists on it, I want to help him. I begin. “I normally don’t give away free information, but I’m not going to be back for awhile. Most of the players I know have left, but Seat 4 is a loose, passive calling station. Seat 5 is bad too but a little tricky and aggressive. Seat 8 is the only other one I have information on, but I like him so I’m not saying anything. Make sure you make it 4 of 4.”

At this point we have the “ZOMG UR 2+2” conversation. We chat about a variety of things, including other games in the area, plans for the summer, and other 2+2ers. Once he tells me that he is indeed private_joker, I become a little starry-eyed and thank him for playing a part in improving my poker game. I tip him $1 to thank him, partly serious, partly in jest. I rack up my 3 full racks and a fourth one in non-yellow($5) chips as I cash up $600 exactly. That tip was extremely convenient because I don’t tip chip runners and would have looked really bad had I not tipped that $1 having it to spare.

Later that night, I get home and post a few hands in the forums before a few friends come over to play beirut and hang out. I see this treasure at the end of one of those topics:
[ QUOTE ]

Great meeting you, by the way. (FWIW, I ended up 3/4 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]
So much for being a lucky bastard.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:42 AM

Sailboats: My first session was Tuesday. I was back at Stanford until Sunday night so I doubt that was me. Unless he was extremely good looking and solid. Then it was me.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:31 AM

Prof. Ben you sure you did not play with me on Friday night? I was seat 5 you were seat 6. I then moved to a 40 game to try and move up where people respect my raises haha.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently starting stacking my chips in huge weird towers so I couldn't count them. I think you need to try this badly.

[ QUOTE ]
At a home game two nights ago we started doing Omaha flips for $100 per hand and I lost $1700.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm up like 2k on Stinkypete at this because I run good at neutral EV betting. Your BR management scares me though.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

The bankroll management part of my brain gets shut off when drunk and/or at a home game.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 AM

me against a top pro:

villain open raised utg in 9 handed game... fold around to hero in sb w/ AcKc... hero 3 bet, bb folds, utg calls.... hero running atrociously and has suffered uncountable beats...

flop: Qc Tc 2d
hero bets, villain raises, i'm on monkey tilt so i 3 bet... villain calls...

turn: 4s
hero bets, villain calls...

river: 6d
hero bets, villain calls...

hero shows his nothing... villain studies the nothing a bit and shows???????????????????????

mad phat dope homey g props to whomever reads the top pro's hand!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 AM

7pm saturday I enter 30/60 game with $2700
6am sunday I have $3000
8am I walk out with $6500

standard..
Closed Thread