Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: How Can I get more Power?

Lessons.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Stronger doesn't mean longer. They're some smaller guys on tour that can bomb it past huge bulked up dudes.

The turn (not slide) will give you power. Having a good shoulder turn is imperative. Difficult to perfect obviously but that's where your power comes from. Once you get used to the turn, use your hips (kinda like a pitcher) to get that extra torque. Be sure not to dip your shoulder or you'll be hitting turf first.

If you have great hand-eye coordination use the Sergio Garcia method (old Sergio, he's more controlled now)he used to have the best snap in golf. It was awesome to watch, in slow motion you can really see how much the shaft is rotating at impact. You have to be so precise though, (very cool swing) better not to attempt the Sergio snap. Good luck trying to achieve timing like that.

Whippy shafts will give you distance but no control. If you have any intentions of getting better, just keep practicing and perfect your shoulder turn. Learn to hit a draw.

In pool, the biggest breakers are guys with good timing. Bustamante, Pagulyan etc... Golf shots too, good technique not huge biceps=distance.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Sounds like you're catching the ball on the upswing. You need to work on hitting down on the ball and taking divots. That's a key to both distance and height and getting that explosion off the club face.

Ironically, those who try to swing harder and longer usually hit the ball less far. Go out to the range and concentrate on three things: weight balance (it should be equal on both feet and perhaps a tiny bit on your front foot if you're not hitting down on the ball enough), keeping your hands in front of the ball at address (this will initiate a whole bunch of good habits all over the course), and finally, experiment with taking what feels like a half swing and seeing what happens. Particularly on your irons, I would guess you'll find yourself hitting straighter and longer. This is actually a key for me. I try to take a half swing, which turns out to be a 3/4 swing and it works wonders.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 PM

accuracy>distance

Distance will come along when your form improves. You have to find a way to increase your swingspeed. You may want to get one of those swing speed contraptions and see if you can work on it from that angle. I hit the ball fairly long and I average ~117mph with my driver, but I would gladly trade that speed and length for more accuracy and consistency.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Increase X-factor / increase lag = faster swing speed = Distance...(power)
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
swing faster

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

It's not how hard you swing but how fast you swing. There is a huge difference.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 PM

agreed, working on becoming a better ball striker is also part of the equation
Old 06-24-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
swing faster

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

It's not how hard you swing but how fast you swing. There is a huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you explain the difference to a moron please?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:59 AM

If you try to swing really hard your upper body tends to get to the ball faster then your lower body throwing your swing out of sync and causing lots of bad things to happen.

A fast swing is using your lower body and upper body to generate club head speed without throwing your body out of sync.

If you don't turn your shoulders on the back swing and then try to whip the club around with your arms you are swinging hard.

If you get a 90 degree shoulder turn, hip turn, weight transfer, good swing arc, good torque, etc you are going to have a fast swing.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you try to swing really hard your upper body tends to get to the ball faster then your lower body throwing your swing out of sync and causing lots of bad things to happen.

A fast swing is using your lower body and upper body to generate club head speed without throwing your body out of sync.

If you don't turn your shoulders on the back swing and then try to whip the club around with your arms you are swinging hard.

If you get a 90 degree shoulder turn, hip turn, weight transfer, good swing arc, good torque, etc you are going to have a fast swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]