Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: What is it like to be old?

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience once you have a family and kids time seems to go faster and faster like a race you can't leave. Before you know it, it's five years later, ten years, your kids are almost grown.

Also, even though you look older and your body is definitely not as young as it once was, somewhere inside your head you're still young. The rest of the world perceives you as middle aged, but that kid who likes to crank the radio and drive fast is still in there somewhere waiting for the adult to let them play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Hell Ya, Agree 100%
I also agree with this previous post:

[ QUOTE ]
Youth is wasted on the young.

When you get older you realize how stupid you were when you were 20. Then you kinda wish you could go back to being 20 except you'd get to keep all the knowledge and experience you have now.

That and you have various aches and pains that you don't know how you got and take forever to go away. I swear cuts healed in like 2 days when I was 20. Now they take 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate the part about the body getting older and hurting more! My mind and heart keep telling me that I want to do things I could do when I was younger but the body just won't keep up!

I have also noticed that my hearing is not as it used to be which really pisses me off at times. My wife or kids will say something to me and I will not hear it or understand what they are saying because of stupid background noise. I ask them to repeat it and they look at me like I am an idiot when all I want for them to do is say it a little bit louder or little bit clearer.

Guess that's what I get for too much loud music and firing too many big guns for too many years!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Guess that's what I get for too much loud music and firing too many big guns for too many years!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, yeah I get that too. What I've found especially harder is understanding people with accents. You know how sometimes it all sounds like garbage until you hold their noises in your head for a second to work it all out, and then you recognize the patterns of English words in what they're saying and it all falls together? There's more of a delay these days. I don't know if I'm processing it slower, hearing worse, speaking to more people with especially bad accents, or what, but I think I'm starting to see a pattern here of just having a harder time understanding non-native speakers.

I just got an mp3 player a month or two ago, too, and the supplied earphones are so crummy that I ordered some ear-canal earphones. They're supposedly really great, and easier on your hearing because they seal out outside noises and issue sound so close to your eardrum that you can keep them on much lower volume than regular headphones or earphones. I hope so. The cheapies that came with my player were so bad that I had to blast them to hear any mid-range, and I know that has got to be really bad for my hearing. Plus any spike of loudness in the music at that level was like jackhammering my head. We'll see when I get them today - Fedex is coming back early afternoon with them, missed me this morning.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 PM

[censored] you! That's what it's like to be old.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

Donk, I don't believe anyone here is old enough to know what its like to be OLD.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am physically unfit so feel old when i get fatigued....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not old, that's just out of shape. When you're old you're not just fatigued, but your body hurts alot more and takes a bit longer to lube itself up when you wake up and start moving. Especially if you did hard construction all through your 20s.

When you get to be about 30, you'll really see just how you were when you were 20. For instance, you'll go into a younger bar and see people acting like idiots. Much like you did when you were that age. But now, you'll find it alot less fun/cute to see that and, generally, more annoying. You'll also notice how many young people tend to think the world revolves around them. Then you'll recognize some of the behaviours as stuff you did and realize what a moron you looked like. Which is one reason you will then give a little room to those making the same actions you did back then.(fwiw, I think too many people forget what it's like to be a certain age. They tend to forget what they did then. This goes all the way to some parents and their kids)

For most 20 year olds, the world is still pretty small. Compared to the overall picture.

That said, I'm going to a guys 21st b-day party tomorrow. It oughtta be interesting.

b
Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When you get older you realize how stupid you were when you were 20. Then you kinda wish you could go back to being 20 except you'd get to keep all the knowledge and experience you have now.

That and you have various aches and pains that you don't know how you got and take forever to go away. I swear cuts healed in like 2 days when I was 20. Now they take 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

Not to mention, what were hangovers back then? God, now the bod may take a couple days to recover where before it was, at most, just a rough morning.

Edit: You also realize there's more to a woman than just a pretty face and nice bod.

b
Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

Not to mention, what were hangovers back then? God, now the bod may take a couple days to recover where before it was, at most, just a rough morning.

Edit: You also realize there's more to a woman than just a pretty face and nice bod.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, you still don't care.

JUST KIDDING!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:23 PM

I just got an email about my 20 year high school reunion. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(although I would never want to go back, unless I was armed with what I know now)
Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to be fair, when a chick is 20 there often really isn't much more to her than a pretty face and a nice bod.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM

I was a young boy that had big plans
Now I'm just another shetty old man
I don't have fun and I hate everything
The world owes me, so fuq you!

Glory days don't mean shet to me
I drink a six pack of apathy
Life's a bitch and so am I
The world owes me, so fuq you!

Wasted youth and a fistful of ideals
I had a young and optimistic point of view