Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: sup Irock

Not "no chance"...Villian is small blind with at least 4 callers in front at the time. Perfect time to take a shot on sooted connectors, etc, especially with a tight image.

OP, were there lots of players seeing flops during the four orbits where Villian was on autofold?

Plus this isn't a true high stakes thread and this apparently isn't a normally high stakes player. As you can probably tell, neither am I a typically high stakes player or a regular contributor to 2p2. At the end of the day, this thread is interesting to me because it's a high stakes perspective on a mid stakes hand involving an apparently low stakes player.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Really weird lower stakes live hand. Still confused about it.

Sry I am traveling a lot and am responding on my phone. The table was very weak passive. Everyone but me would limp 90% of the time with hands like K10o utg and such. When he called there was already two limpers before I raised, and a caller behind me to my raise, so it was almost guarenteed hed have 6 people in hand so I don't think a suited connector is even out of the tightest players range when in the small blind. After reviewing the hand again and again, I think JJ is a fold here and QQ+ is a call. I think a lot of his range is like JJ, QQ or x5 which is a rare range for an opponent to have because it includes the nuts but excludes some hands in between his bottom pair holdings and the nuts. I am still not sure.

To the person confused on my pot calculations, I am still getting used to live and couldn't remember the exact bet by him on the flop, but it looked about the pot. When i was thinking of calling the pot was counted out to be like 650 or 680 or something, and he had like a little under 1600 left behind, so I made some rough estimates. It was a massive overbet esp from a player who was so tight. I think his read was that I had like a pair or was floating, and he wanted to "protect" his hand, so the nuts seems less likely, but at the time all i thought was "this pussy can't have anything but a 5" so I think my folding range was tighter than it should have been, but given my range that i would fold now, the actions would be the same no matter what. His play made no sense to me and I think I am just going to stop trying to figure it out from his perspective what he really wants to call. I was more interested since i didn't see his hand what range people with more experience live would call this large of an overbet with and I think i learned a lot from that perspective. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 PM

As a regular live player I think you guys are giving this player way too much credit. First of all, he hasn't played a hand in almost 25 hands at the table. So we have established he isn't an idiot who will play any hand and bet straightforwardly. Therefore, can we really assume that he will call with 5x and then play it creatively and try to extract max value against a big boat especially from a LAG raiser who isn't guaranteed to have a big PP? Granted, I am going with the theory that his thought processes aren't as in depth as this but I have to say this is another weak tight player "protecting his hand". Once the preflop raiser only called on the flop, this player may have thought a few things. Small PP or AK. Tons of newish or low stakes players auto assume that if you raise you have AK. Forget AA, KK, 67s, etc... YOU HAVE AK. Therefore, if he had 88-QQ and you only call the flop then hes pushing the turn. Nevermind, AA or KK would play that the same way as they are giving a free card to at most a 2 outer against a lower PP. I would call here with JJ+ and seriously consider 10 10.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys doesn't play a hand for 4 orbits, and now he calls a 5x? No chance. He has a medium pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

are we forgetting he's in the small blind and has odds to call? A5s is definitely in his range...
Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guys doesn't play a hand for 4 orbits, and now he calls a 5x? No chance. He has a medium pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

are we forgetting he's in the small blind and has odds to call? A5s is definitely in his range...

[/ QUOTE ]

He prolly knows the zeebo theorem.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, if this is one of the few multiway pots so far, I guess there's a greater chance he could have a 5. I shouldn't have said "no chance", but I think it's highly unlikely. Also given the way he played the hand skews his range to be PPs. Also how many combinations of 5Xs would he play?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 PM

A 5 seems highly unlikely, because of the aforementioned reasons (he's probably not creative/comfortable enough to play it like that). So that basically leaves us with which pocket pair he has. I think he could play like this with any pocket pair 66-QQ, assuming for the moment he reraises with KK and AA. However, if this is a lot of money for him, he'd be hesitant to put so much money in the pot with just a small overpair, when it looks like you have one as well.

I'd say this is QQ most likely, because with JJ or TT he still has to fear you have something like JJ/QQ. If it is QQ vs KK/AA he can write it off as a cooler. I doubt he wants to go broke with anything under TT's here.

I'd call with QQ and perhaps with JJ.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:26 PM

You are never going to see less than 99 here, and you are never going to see quads. Regardless of whether he'd move in with it on the turn instead of betting 500 or something (I think he would not), he's not going to lead into the field from the SB with flopped quads. He for sure has a pretty big pocket pair, that could include everything below AA. However, most would reraise KK, so the vast majority of the time, as you thought, he's going to have TT-QQ, with the higher ones slightly more likely, given that he's sure he's ahead on the turn. I would call with JJ, since we're slightly less than even money to be ahead there and we're getting a large price. TT I think you have to muck.