Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Raid on NYC clubs underway right now.

[ QUOTE ]
but "profiting from gambling" does not mean winning bets. Profiting from gambling is explicitly defined as making money from organizing and running the gambling operations (or assisting in organizing/running, i.e. dealing).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously what it means or else you could be locked up for cashing a winning ticket at OTB.

Which, ironically enough, is the Gov. run exception to that State law.

Which is why, as Rudy famously said when Mayor, OTB is the only bookie in town who loses money.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Aren't there any rooms across the river in Jersey? When one state cracks down, you just move your action somewhere else.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are confiscating money out of people's pockets it would seem to me that that ought to be unconstitutional and illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was money taken from individual player's pockets and not returned? Or are you referring to chips in play?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM

There are plenty of rooms in new jersey, but the state police have been cracking down pretty hard the last few months. Also, from what I have heard, in NY the only person who really takes a big hit is the operator of the club, here in NJ...the penalties are a lot stiffer for EVERYONE that is involved. Even the players get a court appearance and end up having to pay a fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of rooms in new jersey, but the state police have been cracking down pretty hard the last few months. Also, from what I have heard, in NY the only person who really takes a big hit is the operator of the club, here in NJ...the penalties are a lot stiffer for EVERYONE that is involved. Even the players get a court appearance and end up having to pay a fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am friendly with the operator of the "Soccor Club" in NJ, he did a short amount of jail time, and last we spoke he was facing a decision which might have resulted in a prison sentence.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am friendly with the operator of the "Soccor Club" in NJ, he did a short amount of jail time, and last we spoke he was facing a decision which might have resulted in a prison sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i visisted the "soccer club" once. I really liked the place too, I wish I could find more info on what happened to the guys who ran ****. That was the first underground place i was introduced to. I never really heard anything about what happened to those guys.

edited by *TT* because I don't know if that card room's name was ever outed in the press, if it was I'm sorry - just a precaution
Old 06-23-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the same time, because gambling is "illegal" by the constitution, if you were ripped off by a poker room or wanted to try and get the money back that was confiscated during a poker raid, you would not have much of a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so for what illegal activities can the cops in NYC confiscate your money and you have great trouble (or it be impossible) to get your money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

My original statement was about the chips you bought or won in the poker room. If you bought in for $300 and won another $300 and then the police raided the room, you would somewhere between little and no chance of getting your money back. I was not talking about money in your pocket.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the same time, because gambling is "illegal" by the constitution, if you were ripped off by a poker room or wanted to try and get the money back that was confiscated during a poker raid, you would not have much of a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so for what illegal activities can the cops in NYC confiscate your money and you have great trouble (or it be impossible) to get your money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

My original statement was about the chips you bought or won in the poker room. If you bought in for $300 and won another $300 and then the police raided the room, you would somewhere between little and no chance of getting your money back. I was not talking about money in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't they take the money in your pocket as evidence as well?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:57 PM

No, they do not take the money from your pocket as evidence. When they searched everyone Thursday night, the police took out our wallets, money clips, and cell phones, but they gave them back after the pat-down.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't surprise me if a neighbor called in a complaint.

It is a loft/office building, but that doesn't mean no one is living in the building. I've heard of people living in loft buildings on that block for over 20 years. Also, an expensive, luxury residential hi-rise went up a couple of years ago across the street, directly opposite the after-hours club that had the lines forming outside at the entrance until all hours. I personally think the after-hours club was the real cause of any neighbor's complaints.

However, you could hear the poker club's door buzzer from half a block away. I imagine it would drive me crazy hearing that buzzer all night if I lived across the street and was trying to fall asleep.