Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Building a BR through MTT\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's taken me a few years to figure out, but tournaments are where the "money is at".

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, there is now soda all over my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't drink and read obviously.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A really large downswing is still entirely possible. More than possible; probable.

In the 1.10 you end up with about 18 people left with 1200 blinds half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

grinding out the 1.20s when there are 1.10s around seems crazy. remember, we don't just care about roi, but also $/hr. regs have twice as much rake, and probably take almost twice as long on average. also, as long as you have a good enough br, you shouldn't care about variance.

to the OP, if you don't think you have the br to run 3.25s, i would suggest grinding the 1.10 turbos, at least at first to get a feel for the structure and the level of competition (not very high)

[/ QUOTE ]

Except most of my actual playing ability is lost on low M pushfests, and my ability to outplay people works better in slower structures, so I maintain a higher ROI and $/hr in the slower structures because you can literally FT everytime without a race. Of course, you won't, but I've done it multiple times...today...yesterday...etc.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if a standard downswing was 40ish buyins at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? This can't be right at all. Sure for regular MTT turbos. But we are talking about 45 man turbos. A 100% ROI is very attainable at these IMO. Remember that Risk of Ruin takes into account how good you are. That means if you are good (your mean win is higher) you don't have to worry about variance as much.

Anyway, to the OP, yes people do play the sats for $T. It's pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 buyin downswings are super common at the single table turbos even playing really good, these are not small mtts these are large sngs and there is more variance then the single tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main consideration about all of this IMO is whether or not you can reload another 150 if you do go on a 40 BI downswing. I mean, if you can afford to reload in a month or 2 if things don't go well, you might as well just go for it with 40 buyins, instead of pussy footing along at the $1 tourneys with 20% rake.

Once the roll is built to an amount that can't be replaced easily, it is more important to worry about ROR.

And, the real goal here should be to get your roll to 400 so you can comfortably play in the 4/180s.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:07 AM

I would say play the 3/45 turbo's. The play is quite terrible and yeah, 100% ROI pretty atainable imo.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 AM

I would play the 16-man turbo's. Perfect balance between low variance and high $/h
Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 AM

After playing in a dozen or so of these tourneys (the $1+.20/18's) I realized that it would take forever to move up.

I can't afford to replinish my bankroll right now. In fact, while playing today I was filling out job applications. Degenerate. However, I am disciplined enough to move down if I hit a big downswing.

I just played in my first $3+.25/45 Turbo, and managed to get 5th place. I think I'll stick with these, and see if I can't build my bankroll more aggressively. I'm not withdrawing from it anymore (hence the j.o.b. search), so I can afford to take a few more risks, I guess.

Thanks for all your advice! I'll try to post where I'm at in a few weeks or so, and may post some in the strat forum, since I am still a bit green to NL concepts. I do have the 2+2 NL book, all three HoH volumes, and Phil's little green book - so I'm not unarmed.

I've also got about a mile of history in this forum and in the archives to glean for tips and thoughts. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:56 AM

Simplest thing to remember to boost your /45 ROI:

Get really aggressive from 21-19 people and 16-10. These short tables are filled with weaktights; the maniac idiots are either busto or won a huge stack and won't gamble it, and you can literally triple-quadruple your stack here without a showdown with aggressive bets/Cbets.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's taken me a few years to figure out, but tournaments are where the "money is at".

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, there is now soda all over my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. MTT FT's can be very lucrative, but building BR's thru MTT's is certainly not the easiest path, unless u get very lucky early on and win one. Otherwise it's a very slow path. Especially on Stars where the micro limit MTT's have enormous fields.

I reccommend building BR's thru cash games. Learn to play microstakes NL, and then move up as you become profitable at each level.

I may sound like a hypocrite, because I primarly played MTT's for the first couple years and have built a very solid BR with them. But I've since learned cash games are a much lower variance way of building, and I now spend 70% of my playing time on cash tables. I also found that they have really improved my tourney play as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM

I think i can give a good advice, since i was in your steps 6 months ago.
I grinded 10$ free from Victor Chandler to like 430§, cashed 230 out and had 200$ to play poker with.
I wanted to play sngs and MTTs but was not that good at it i guess(according to my sharkscope graph).
Then i made a 2nd place in a 4/180 which was really cool, first time winning more than 100bucks straight.
I than started to really read much and post much on 2p2 and started to play the 3.4s turbo with like a BR of 250.
I really think you can make a huge roll there, right now I 12 table them and have a ROI of 30-35% but just the frequency i can play them makes them unbeatable i guess.
So you should really build your BR up to 250-300 $ playing the low tournies or cash game and then start to play the 3.4 turbos, i would suggest 4tablin at least.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 PM

I would suggest going thru a rake back affiliate and then sign up for a ftp account. They have some nice deep stack 90 man sngs starting at $1.25, these are nice since you can maintain your starting stack and really aren't in an all in or fold mode until 2 hrs in IIR.