Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group Two: 7 vs 10
Blade 2 56 41.48%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 79 58.52%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Bill Chen accused of collusion?

i could care less if the TD approved, anyone that has any ethics or sportmanship in them knows this is unethical.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:38 PM

I think under the table deal making in title bearing live MTT's, like WSOP, WPT etc are just plain wrong. I hope they are universally banned & if done result in DQ's.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 PM

I disagree. We're playing with our own money here. If the money was being kicked in, that would be different. Banning deals completely just pushes the problem under the carpet, in that more players are liable to swap and buy pieces of each other.

I do think though that it should be clear one way or the other. Either deals are not allowed, or they are allowed and everyone's open about it, to the point that published results should include any deals made.

Regarding the OP, I am very surprised that Bill did this, he should surely know better.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:15 PM

I agree with Shane, and ask the others to consider this: if Schleger and myself are down to two, and he's real short, I offer him a "Chen deal" and he accepts - that sends a WORSE player forward. Is your answer the same since the "equity" part of the equation is not the same?

Either deals are okay or they arent in this situation - you cant base your opinion on the perceived quality of the two players.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he called the floor over and the floor approved of it then he did NOTHING wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

Yes you can be confused that he asked. Yes you can be confused that the OK was given.

But to claim the Bill Chen did ANYTHING unacceptable or unethical is simply wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

But his intent means quite a bit. The difference in involuntary manslaughter and first degree murder is some type of probation vs death penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....ummmmmm, no
Old 06-23-2007, 03:23 PM

To clarify my previous reply I just want to say that while I feel that Chen did nothing wrong in this situation I also think that the TD made a horrible ruling.

The ruling had an impact upon the expectency of other players in the tournament and that simply is not fair to them and should not be allowed in a tournament setting.

On the other hand, Chen made sure that he did something that was within the rules of the game and it is my opinion that if you are playing within the rules of the game and you are being completely transparent about your actions then you are in the moral and ethical right.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM

The only ethical concert Bill Chen should have right now is whether he took advantage of the mentally challenged floor people that Harrah's hired for the event.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 PM

What event number are we talking about? Anyone know the details of how many people were left when Chen got free ride to next level and how many places pay. If I was the other guy and even though down 2-1 in chips I would have tried to make a cash deal as well as a percentage deal with Chen unless him winning put him near the money anyway. If this tournament pays $500k+ for first Chen opponet might be looking at a nice payday. Not bad for being behind 2-1 in chips. Also I think plenty of "shdy" deals have been made in quiet so that people could either win bracelets or give up bracelets for more cash.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I think plenty of "shdy" deals have been made in quiet so that people could either win bracelets or give up bracelets for more cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's not even get started with this. there's way too many examples to mention. you also forgot deals for POY points.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 PM

900 entrants.
3 rounds.
900->90(all get paid $ 6,757)->9(final table)

So this had to be the first round, where advancing would guarantee Chen a payout of $ 6,757 (all he did get).

Also:
[ QUOTE ]

Bill Chen Advances to Round 2

Bill Chen also won a 2K prop bet against Gavin Smith. Smith bet that Chen would not advance to the next round.

[/ QUOTE ]