Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Default stealing Q

Late stages of a tourney and you're down to 3 people. You have ~4k in chips, opponent on your left hhas ~4k and the other has ~13 in chips. Blinds are at 150/300 and go up to 200/400 in a 15mins. From there they just keep doubleing every 15 mins or so.

What is your range of stealing otb and in the sb. I'm
usually stealing ~35%otb and ~40% in the sb, too tight?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: stealing Q

Does the other really have 13 chips, or 13K?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the other really have 13 chips, or 13K?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 AM

No one has any thoughts on this issue?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:33 AM

By stealing do you mean shoving or still standard raising? Reads on your opponents? Calling ranges? Too broad.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By stealing do you mean shoving or still standard raising? Reads on your opponents? Calling ranges? Too broad.

[/ QUOTE ]

By stealing I mean any attempt to pick up the blinds either by shoving or making a standard raise. I think I have enough in my stack where I dont need to open push just in case I get played back at, I can still get away from my hand but I'm curious as to what the more experienced tourney players think of this

Reads

guy on my left (sb when I'm button, bb when I'm sb) is pretty taggy but a little to loose. He'll reraise w/his good hands and fold most of his garbage. He won't reraise w/total bs but he's definatly shoving w/hands like A9s and such if I raise from sb. He has ~4k worth of chips

Guy on my right (bb when I'm button, sb when I'm bb) is too tight. He'll give up his bb fairly easily if I raise and he doesn't have a premium hand but will rereaise/call w/any premium hand, big aces, most pairs, KQ and thats prolly it. He open limps a lot in the sb and folds to a lot of continuation bets on the flop. He has 13k in chips

My image - The guys I'm playing with have played with me for years. They know I'm a TAG and play pretty aggro and usually strait foward. They know I'm a thinking player and respect my play. Of course since it's gotten pretty short, I'm raising a whole lotta hands pf and taking down a lot of pots w/my flop c-bets. I have ~4k in chips

So I ask the forum once again, what % of hands do you steal with? Can you give me a range so I can see if I'm too tight or too loose. I mostly play cash games so while I understand the value of position and winning the blinds, I'm not used to having to adjust my ranges so drastically b/c the blinds stay at the same level throughout the game.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:51 PM

You think your too tight when you are trying to steal 75% of the time in this situation? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Maybe I missed something reading the question but that was what I got from it(you try and steal 75%=35%btn-40%sb)
Old 06-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Peter I think you got the math wrong. 35%btn and 40%sb = 7,5/20 = 37,5% of the time
Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You think your too tight when you are trying to steal 75% of the time in this situation?
Maybe I missed something reading the question but that was what I got from it(you try and steal 75%=35%btn-40%sb)

[/ QUOTE ]

It should really be more like 60-75% on the BTN and 90-100% from the SB in this situation, but it really depends on the payout structure and how light they're willing to look him up.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter I think you got the math wrong. 35%btn and 40%sb = 7,5/20 = 37,5% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, something around those lines