Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: This Dawg Needs a Home

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably a bad idea considering I really shouldn't be getting a dog, but I really might just man up and get him since it would be way, way better than death. I just couldn't tell my parents about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't you get a dog?

I think it's great to rescue a dog, but you have to understand the amount of time you have to put in with a new dog, especially either a puppy or a dog that's just like Larry. His family dumping him off probably means he's got some serious separation anxiety, so expect him to be nervous as hell and bark a lot while you're not at home until he feels secure that he's not being abandoned. This might be a problem if a barking dog all day will cause issues with your neighbors, roommates, rents, etc. A vet can get you some anti-anxiety drugs for him that actually work okay but it's still a rough road and require a lot of patience and attention. Bigger dogs like labs generally don't live that long compared to cats and small dogs, and 8 is pretty old, but like I said ours is 14 now and still chugging along. You need to know that you can make that commitment for however many years that dog has left, not necessarily because dumping him off again would be cruel (and it would), but because you might not like yourself very much if you adopted him, gave him some hope, then abandoned him again. To a lab, being beaten is better than being abandoned or even ignored, so if you man up and take him, you better be all in.

On the other hand, I've done it, and it's totally worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest [censored] ive ever read because youre just saying "dont get a dog because it will have issues so just let it sit in a shelter till it dies but hey if you do rescue him it will be great"
Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 PM

yo noze, if you're worried about being away on break with larry at your crib.. you can always put him in a doggy hotel or whatever. its like $8/day and they take care of him while you're gone. i hope larry finds a home, you're doing a good thing here bro..

SAVE LARRY!!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably a bad idea considering I really shouldn't be getting a dog, but I really might just man up and get him since it would be way, way better than death. I just couldn't tell my parents about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's great to rescue a dog, but you have to understand the amount of time you have to put in with a new dog, especially either a puppy or a dog that's just like Larry. His family dumping him off probably means he's got some serious separation anxiety, so expect him to be nervous as hell and bark a lot while you're not at home until he feels secure that he's not being abandoned. This might be a problem if a barking dog all day will cause issues with your neighbors, roommates, rents, etc. A vet can get you some anti-anxiety drugs for him that actually work okay but it's still a rough road and require a lot of patience and attention. Bigger dogs like labs generally don't live that long compared to cats and small dogs, and 8 is pretty old, but like I said ours is 14 now and still chugging along. You need to know that you can make that commitment for however many years that dog has left, not necessarily because dumping him off again would be cruel (and it would), but because you might not like yourself very much if you adopted him, gave him some hope, then abandoned him again. To a lab, being beaten is better than being abandoned or even ignored, so if you man up and take him, you better be all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest [censored] ive ever read because youre just saying "dont get a dog because it will have issues so just let it sit in a shelter till it dies but hey if you do rescue him it will be great"

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT and I never knew Edd was so sensitive.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gl OP. I have no idea how someone could give up their dog after 8 years. Maybe they had extenuating circumstances but even if I did have to give my dog up, I would make damn sure I found a good home for him first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-23-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yo noze, if you're worried about being away on break with larry at your crib.. you can always put him in a doggy hotel or whatever. its like $8/day and they take care of him while you're gone. i hope larry finds a home, you're doing a good thing here bro..

SAVE LARRY!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I always thought they were more expensive than this (like $20ish a day or something) but I'll def look into it, as even $20/day isn't beyond feasible. Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't thought about it since my family never put our dog in one, we just had someone stay with her.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT and I never knew Edd was so sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love dogs