Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Ipod Shuffle completely corrupted

I recently installed a USB 2 card on my WinXP computer and plugged my ipod shuffle into it. Itunes refused to acknowledge it. It shows up in My computer as a removable drive, but when I try to open it I get either a "Please insert a disk" error or an something about I/O write error. I uninstalled the USB card and used the ipod Updater. It froze about ten minutes before giving the option to restore the Shuffle. It gave me a disk write error after about five minutes. I also downloaded Anapod Reinitializer, it gave me a screen that looks like this

I tried all the troubleshooting on Apple's website, nothing helped. I even tried some utilities that were supposed to restore USB drives, still nothing. I concluded that my ipod is completely corrupted and can't figure out how to wipe it and start over.

Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Ipod Shuffle completely corrupted

try formatting it on someone elses machine if you havne't already.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM

I suggest just sending it into Apple. They'll either fix it or give you a new one. I did this when mine broke and it was a great experience except they charged me like $30 S&H becuase it broke after the 6-month warranty period. Still much cheaper though than flat out buying a new one.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 PM

I ended up calling Apple. They wanted a $49 fee for support, but it's still under warranty so I'm sending it back to them. When filling out their many screens for the warranty return, I got a disturbing message about my credit card number being incorrectly encrypted, scaring the hell out of me. The popup error message had the https: part on it, as did every page that prompted me for information. I concluded it's because I put spaces between the sets of numbers instead of one continuous sequence.

I was hoping for something like using debug to clear the Ipod like it can for hard disks.

Thanks for the responses.