Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Why No Dead Button?

IMO the forward moving button AND the requirement that two blinds are always posted clockwise (BTW Randy: the word "clockwise" as opposed to right/left works better for everybody, not just me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) from the button AND the requirement that you always post both your blinds each round (meaning sometimes you will post a blind on the button or even in the cutoff when two players go busto in the right spot) simply generates more action. And California games are known for action.

~ Rick

PS About ten to fifteen years ago a guy by the name John Fox (I'm fairly sure that was the name; he was Colorado based and also tried to start some sort of poker player's association) wrote this incredibly detailed analysis of forward moving v dead button in either Card Player or one of it's temporary competitors. I remember it because it actually made my eyes glaze over [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(meaning sometimes you will post a blind on the button or even in the cutoff when two players go busto in the right spot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to explain how this works: If both blinds go busto, the next player to receive the button posts a big blind on the button. There's also two big blinds to the left of the button. The following hand, there is a small blind in the cutoff and on the button, as well as normal blinds. Yes, that's right, four blinds. I've seen two people post in this situation, too, resulting in six blinds. Crazy.

I favor the forward moving button because extra blinds promote action--as you say, Rick. This is probably why Winstar has adopted it. The other possible reason is that their poker management came from California or the Northwest.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(meaning sometimes you will post a blind on the button or even in the cutoff when two players go busto in the right spot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to explain how this works: If both blinds go busto, the next player to receive the button posts a big blind on the button. There's also two big blinds to the left of the button. The following hand, there is a small blind in the cutoff and on the button, as well as normal blinds. Yes, that's right, four blinds. I've seen two people post in this situation, too, resulting in six blinds. Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My normal tendency (as mention in a post a minute ago) is to describe things in excruciating detail but covering every possibility tonight would make my head explode, my skull being a little unstable lately.

You essentially got it right although I can't remember ever seeing two trailing blinds. You often get three blinds with one blind on the button and this usually corrects itself after two hands. The key is that everyone plays a big and small blind every round and two blinds are posted clockwise from the button and if necessary other blinds are posted trailing.

~ Rick
Old 06-19-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although I can't remember ever seeing two trailing blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmmm, one of us is getting old. I remember dealing a hand with two trailing blinds and the way I remember it you were at the table.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
although I can't remember ever seeing two trailing blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmmm, one of us is getting old. I remember dealing a hand with two trailing blinds and the way I remember it you were at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of us are getting old.

Actually I remember seeing two trailing blinds several times but if I owned up to it I'd feel compelled to describe how and I was tired. Even I would need access to all my fingers and toes for that one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I favor the forward moving button because extra blinds promote action--as you say, Rick. This is probably why Winstar has adopted it. The other possible reason is that their poker management came from California or the Northwest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played under this rule for the first time, when I was getting pounded in Seattle recently. MY problem with it was that they were using it in rooms with a high-hand AND bad beat jackpot. They didn't NEED to promote any more action than they were already getting.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I have played in rooms that use each system (method, process?) and it doesn't seem to make much difference at the levels I play. You get seven or eight players each hand and I don't think they notice if the pot is big or little.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 AM

I wish we had a dead button where I work because I have to explain why someone has a big blind one off the button or a sb on the button about 20 times a day every day.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

I was in Reno last week where I saw that for the first time. They do have a dead small blind but that makes two big blinds. I couldn't understand that one because it makes two small blinds the next hand and the small blind on the right loses the button.

But that's Reno and I heard it's different there.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM

in atlantic city the button would just keep it for the next hand. i think that method is fine i dont know why they would have 2 BBs