Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Question for STT players, bubble question

[ QUOTE ]
1outer, interesting question for you, and id love to see your response to this.

You have KK in the BB of a STT,

Its the bubble, 4 people left, you have 7k in chips, the big stack is under the gun with 8k in chips and pushes all in, now he has been bullying and pushed the last 5 hands in a row...

The other 2 stacks at the table BARELY have enough to cover the blinds but both fold, u have pocket kings, do u call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, all day, everyday. He obviously doesnt have aces, and if you win that hand you win the sng.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 AM

I will answer with the info u gave me but answer these and i can respond better
• how has the big stack been playing? Is he a reasonable player? Did he get all his chips by gambling, win a big hand with good holdings or did he methodically chip up to where he is at, any info u can give is important.

But, if he has been open-shoving for the past 5 hands, you will be crushing his range I'd say 85% of the time.

His range can be: any pocket pair (if he has aces, so be it, it's very unlikely and u got cold decked), any suited connector, A-x, Kx. Bottom line, even if he has a decent hand such as A-Js - AKs, u r still a favorite. insta-call his openshove and u will most likely at worst be 70-30. Teach him a lesson for getting too antsy UTG. O yea, respond back on how he plays and the ansser might be diff, but this seems pretty standard, get ur money in as a favorite and hope u hold up.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THANK U, someone actually read he was bubble bullying, the rest of the table was tight ass, waiting to money, the mindset i have is i dont want 3rd, im not gonna sit there and try to money, im going for first every time

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty much only play SNG's and MTT's, but SNG's are my specialty. I have noticed that bubble play gets so tight that those not taking advantage of the table dynamics changing are basically playing their hand face up. They fold-fold-fold-fold and then enter a pot and u can just throw it away, let them be nitty. I tend to like to take over as table captain once bubble play begins, if I tangle with the big stack, so be it, I play more than just my cards and would actually rather tangle with the big stack pushing marginal edges then the Tight-weak waiting to cash. Always play to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

3rd place >>>>> 4th place in a SNG. If the 2 other medium stacks are playing weak tight, pick on them, dont make a move or get too involved w/ the only guy that can bust you at the table w/ a medium strength hand. Who cares that he is using his stack to steal on the bubble, there are many better spots to get your money in and still plenty of time before desperation. I understand "playing to win" and all that jazz, but cashing VS not-cashing is the biggest issue.

If you do come over the top and he folds, you don't win a ton chips, and if he calls i think his range will be very wide putting you in many coin-flip, slightly ahead, slightly behind situations.

In a nut shell, I think I can get my money in at a better situation, and there still is time to get that situation. If blinds are higher, and the other stacks aren't so even, I will play the hand differently.

-mike
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM

I just made a scenario like that with the following stacks:

Blinds 400-800 with 25 ante

BB - 8500 with KK
SB - 1000
BTN - 1000
CO - 9500 shoved all in

CO needs to be shoving 40% of hands to make this a +1% EV call, its a breakeven call at 32% of hands, and -EV for a tighter range than that.

When you are safe, you dont want to risk the possibility that you get smashed in the hands and let the SB/BB freeroll into the money.

Now, if one of the shortys called before you, its a different story
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM

He ended up having AQ, so even if i DO push all in preflop, 95% of the time he is calling, but pushing 4 hands before that in a row, i didnt put him on that at all, i think my call was good because if he did have WHAT i put him on, kQ or KJ and that i was being generous

Flop comes Q32 I CAN STILL GET AWAY with 10 BBS

Any flop that isnt 10 high or has no ace, I CAN GET AWAY EASILY, the thing that killed me was the flop, i thought he hit the J on the flop, i checked, thinking he'd bet and called, the reason why i didnt push was because it hought his K could be a heart, so i wanted to see the next card, once the ace came, i thoguth i was DEFINATLY good and pushed it
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM

If the opening range of UTG is less than 40% (any pair, any ace,any king, Q9+, JT) you have to fold. Else, you have to push.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM

im mainly a MTT player if u couldnt tell [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM

You should always make your descision based on what gains you the most $EV. Do some ICM calculations on ranges etc to get the answer to your questions.

This always play for first mentality does not justify taking a -$EV situation.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM

With 12ish bbs, out of position, during a bubble (or otherwise) im not looking to get away from hands on the flop or getting all in with mediocre aces which is somewhat likely to be dominated vs a raising hand.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM

If the guy is raising 3 out of 4 with the big stack and only one to act behind then I suspect you should push there. If you call in that spot with AT you need a wet noodling.