Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM

Default short-handed tournament style vs full-table cash game

i've been playing a lot of short-handed, freezeout style poker lately and have been trying to figure out ways to take those skills (aggression, position raises, etc) and transfer them to a full-table cash game. i know that tournament style play is different from cash game, but was wondering if there are elements to short-handed tournament play that could be applied because my cash game needs help (mainly with the fact that i just play too tight at a cash game, while playing super loose and aggressive during tournaments)
Old 06-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: short-handed tournament style vs full-table cash game

Well, in a short handed tournament, you have the ever increasing forced bets, the diminishing number of players, the payout structure, and other factors constantly forcing the action. So many times it's correct to play extremely aggressive.

In a cash game, your position, stack sizes, and the other players should really be the only thing dictating your play. If they're all a bunch of loose calling stations, don't play without a hand. If they're a bunch of rocks, open up your game and get aggressive.

You're probably not going to have much luck running bluffs at the nickle dime home game. Aggression loses its value in the face of bad poker players.