Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: raise 3.5 times or more in deep stack?

man...these are the types of responses i get on this forum nowadays? disappointing.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:55 AM

also, if you could talk about the dark fold that'd be great
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
man...these are the types of responses i get on this forum nowadays? disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you are a top contributor to the forum, most of us would just get [censored] responses and sarcasm

consider yourself lucky
Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gary, as our resident live game master, can you next give us a strategy post about the power of the dead straddle?

Also the dark bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a big fan of "i check dark" move. its like who the fk cares, youd check even if you saw the flop you clown.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

of course when you've got the low pockets, like 2s or 3s or something, you should make your raises even bigger because you simply want to take down the blinds. probably make it about 40-50xbb to make sure you dont get any calls. you dont want those ace king and ace queen donkeys drawing out on you now do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really just prefer to stick it in to maximize value
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Raising 7 or 8x BB preflop is retarded. It negates the advantage of playing with more postflop play if you're a better player. Besides, if you raise 7x or 8x, people will still be getting implied odds to play with you. Whoever said raising more preflop in a deepstacked game is obviously not a good postflop player and is an idiot for thinking they can really cut down on implied odds (unless they raise like 20x preflop, which allows for little play and is a crapshoot, and forces you to play big pots, and people could easily trap you. So yea, raise normal 3.5x preflop.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM

This belongs in poker theory. Anyway, you're thinking about it wrong. Here's a thought experiment:

If you hold AA every hand preflop heads up and you always have the SB/button, how much should you raise. If you always have 72o in the BB, how much should you raise/reraise. Assume all opponent hands are random. Think through potential action on all strets and your opponent's expected equity.
I'll post my suggestion after a while.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 PM

these two pieces of advice are not inconsistent, but you have to realize that 'raising more' could involve a very broad range. raising six times the big blind is different from raising forty times the big blind. i would suggest posting this in another forum, like theory or small stakes to get better answers.

also, as a good exercise in general, think about the answers yourself and post your thoughts. i believe you'll get more valuable advice this way. people don't generally like to type out tomes when they reply on these boards for good reasons. but if you give your own reasoning, people can usually tell you concisely if they agree or disagree and why.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM

ATTN: RiverHebrew2, 75s, innerpeace

How much do you charge for coaching? Could we possibly get a conference call type thing going?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gary, as our resident live game master, can you next give us a strategy post about the power of the dead straddle?

Also the dark bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a big fan of "i check dark" move. its like who the fk cares, youd check even if you saw the flop you clown.

[/ QUOTE ]
the dead straddle is usually reserved for only the most astute of live players. This move is to create the image that you're an action junky and are at the table to gamble, however this could not be further from the truth. this move can only be used once per session, however the benefits are extremely valuable. after you put out the dead straddle and the cards are in the air, you then ask the table- "this is a live straddle right? i'm ready to gambool!" when you are informed that you've in fact just made a blind raise and will not have the option of raising when it gets back to you, you must act disgusted that you wont be able to gambool and act as if you're considering leaving the game. this will encourage your opponents to try and keep you in the game and also to try and get in pots with you asap. this leaves you in the perfect position to gather all the money that will be thrown at you. you will soon get tons of action because everyone now thinks you are a bigtime gamblooor and a dim one at that. of course they couldn't be more misinformed, now it's your time to nit it up and become the chip leader! because they will be falling out of their chairs in an attempt to get into pots with you and take your "dead money".

i dont really want to get into the dark check and the dark bet or all the other intricacies of live deep stack games guys, that's just giving away too much free info. i'm available for live deepstack coaching, especially deep stacked limit, pm me for info