Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 AM

Default What goes into telling a good story?

I'm not a particularly good story teller, and it's something that I would very much like to change. What goes into really telling a good story? Has anyone read any books that have been helpful?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Re: What goes into telling a good story?

Practice and honest analysis - the same things that make you good at anything
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 AM

1) Context. You weren't out at "a bar or something," you were out at "the foulest looking bar in the entire world, an elephant boneyard where toothless waitresses walk the earth in endless purgatory."

2) The details. If you were in a smoky place, it wasn't just smoky. If I remember it right, it smelled like stale beans, blunts, and the overpowering waft of Old Spice, which tried but failed miserably in covering up the sweaty bodies of the people there, who sickeningly grinded on each other like cattle in spring.

3) Three acts. You came (setup the story). You saw (bring in a problem). You conquered (resolve the conflict). Aristotle'd be proud.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM

I think telling a good story is more about confidence and charisma, if you know what I mean.

Some people just have 'it'. I remember classes when I was still in high school, when the teacher left the room, and some people would start telling jokes/stories. Everybody would shut up and listen to them. Some guys are so funny that even if they aren't trying, they can still make you laugh out loud. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 PM

I'll tell you what really doesn't work for me is when you can tell a person has lost their train of thought and stutters with their story telling.

It's not so much about content, it's the way it is told, when you can make something that is [censored] seem believable.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Context. You weren't out at "a bar or something," you were out at "the foulest looking bar in the entire world, an elephant boneyard where toothless waitresses walk the earth in endless purgatory."

2) The details. If you were in a smoky place, it wasn't just smoky. If I remember it right, it smelled like stale beans, blunts, and the overpowering waft of Old Spice, which tried but failed miserably in covering up the sweaty bodies of the people there, who sickeningly grinded on each other like cattle in spring.

3) Three acts. You came (setup the story). You saw (bring in a problem). You conquered (resolve the conflict). Aristotle'd be proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly correct. Let me add

4) While you are telling the story, you need to be dramatic—as if you are reliving the experience. If you cannot act, the story will be flat and dry.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:06 AM

Awesome post Max. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think telling a good story is more about confidence and charisma, if you know what I mean.

Some people just have 'it'. I remember classes when I was still in high school, when the teacher left the room, and some people would start telling jokes/stories. Everybody would shut up and listen to them. Some guys are so funny that even if they aren't trying, they can still make you laugh out loud.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true, but while some are certainly more naturally charismatic than others, anyone can improve.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"the foulest looking bar in the entire world, an elephant boneyard where toothless waitresses walk the earth in endless purgatory."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hemingway would love this.

If you are interested in what makes a good story, think about what good stories you've heard - whether they were captivating, interesting, entertaining, amusing, whatever you want to say to describe said story.

Ultimately, like in books, lots and lots of details are oftentimes covering up the lack of story. And there is a difference between painting a picture and spinning a yarn.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM

With respect, I think Max may be living too close to Hollywood.

Let me put in a plea for lots of verbs and nouns; very few adjectives and adverbs.

If you want some inspirational stuff post-Hemingway, have a look at James Salter or Michael Ondaatje.