Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: This Dawg Needs a Home

maybe sklansky can train the dog
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't get how someone can have a dog for 8 years and not figure out a way to take them where they're going. F them.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years ago the wife and I were losing our apartment (long boring story) and were trying to find a place to live with our two rescue dogs and cat; one of the dogs was a 9yo lab who we took in after her old family decided she was boring AFTER SEVEN YEARS OF IGNORING HER. We came to the conclusion that living in our car was better than giving up the dog, but luckboxed into a place at the last minute. Dog's still with us at 14yo. Keeping pets: +EV for everyone.

Larry's situ might be similar, shortstacked for 8 years with a family that didn't care about him enough to bring him along when they moved. He's arf in now.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM

I'd live in my car with my dog before I gave him up too.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pm txredman

[/ QUOTE ]Damn that state sucks.

Still lynching people: http://www.startribune.com/484/story/1257624.html
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably a bad idea considering I really shouldn't be getting a dog, but I really might just man up and get him since it would be way, way better than death. I just couldn't tell my parents about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't you get a dog?

I think it's great to rescue a dog, but you have to understand the amount of time you have to put in with a new dog, especially either a puppy or a dog that's just like Larry. His family dumping him off probably means he's got some serious separation anxiety, so expect him to be nervous as hell and bark a lot while you're not at home until he feels secure that he's not being abandoned. This might be a problem if a barking dog all day will cause issues with your neighbors, roommates, rents, etc. A vet can get you some anti-anxiety drugs for him that actually work okay but it's still a rough road and require a lot of patience and attention. Bigger dogs like labs generally don't live that long compared to cats and small dogs, and 8 is pretty old, but like I said ours is 14 now and still chugging along. You need to know that you can make that commitment for however many years that dog has left, not necessarily because dumping him off again would be cruel (and it would), but because you might not like yourself very much if you adopted him, gave him some hope, then abandoned him again. To a lab, being beaten is better than being abandoned or even ignored, so if you man up and take him, you better be all in.

On the other hand, I've done it, and it's totally worth it.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should have asked FFK to start this thread or something. Someone would be all over it if a girl asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to subtly lure me into BBV? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't you get a dog?

[/ QUOTE ]
My parents finance literally everything I do and wouldn't be too happy about it at all, but I wouldn't mind getting a small job to cover food and stuff. That said, the bigger problem would be school breaks and stuff. I can't really go home for weeks at a time or away on spring break really when I have a dog at home with nobody to feed it. I know our winter break next year is about a month and that my family is going to the Caribbean followed by me going home for a few more weeks and I really just don't know how I'd care for him when I'm gone. There are countless more situations like that coming up in the next 2+ years when Larry would for sure still be alive. The last thing in the world I want is to get him and then be gone a ton and maybe have to give him up later.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to subtly lure me into BBV?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for Larry's sake. If you tell everyone you cry at night thinking about him, then someone will for sure take him here.

SAVE LARRY
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 AM

larry for mod
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 AM

Larry eats his own crap [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].