Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Running Bluffs at 100NL: Bad Idea?

When I was playing the other day I noticed how often I was being exploited, check the turn out of position and folding to a big bet. So I figured logically, maybe I should start trying the same thing in position occasionally.

Obviously the liklihood of your bluff succeeding is dependant on your table image / table conditions / history with opponents / psych & capability of your opponent. But so far it seems like no one ever folds. Even to river shoves.

So, from this I'm starting to conclude that unless a player has demonstrated a willingness to fold I should I give up on bluffing (excluding continuation bets), and start shoving all big hands on the river.

What are people's general thoughts. Anyone having huge success playing a LAGY game and running loads of bluffs?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Running Bluffs at 100NL: Bad Idea?

1.) Find tables with calling stations.
2.) Don't bluff calling stations.
3.) Profit.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But so far it seems like no one ever folds. Even to river shoves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how you make money at small stakes. Just value bet. When you stop bluffing at these low limits you will be amazed how easy it is to beat these games.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:30 PM

I would bluff quite alot at NL100 as there are alot of weak/poor players. I would mix it up shoving scare cards and shoving made hands sometimes too.

What type of bluffs we talking about? Pure bluffs putting it in with air is dependent on a good read of your opponent and whether your bluff is actually believable given the action. Semi bluffs should be a given. Double barrelling and tripple barrelling are most successful against players who have a higher PT cold call percentage pf (>1 is regarded as high). This is because they are callin with marginal hands such as QJs, which can be just damn hard to call 3 bets with on a J high flop against a decent enough player, especially if you have shown down a few good hands and your image is the good stuff. Don't bluff calling stations should be obvious, basically anyone who has a high go to showdown percentage.

Bluffing done correctly can be very profitable and getting caught out once in a while is great for getting paid off in future hands. All the above should be helpful but sometimes it just comes down to having some balls and putting your whole stack in when you think it will work.

Edited to say: don't forget the texture of the board is very important in which hands to bluff. Can't bluff just any board.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Bluff against the 'good' players who are weak postflop when the turn allows you to represent something, or they're the type who just cbet most of all flops then give up.

Don't bluff bad players.

There's a wide mix of the 'good' and bad players at 100. The guys who are playing LAG at 100 are some of the most exploitable to bluffing.