Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Thinking of getting Custom Irons with much lower lofts..

So I play Golf and I am very consistant, but I dont hit the ball very far at all. Right now my distances are about the following:

Driver: 250
5 Iron: 165-170
7 iron: 145-150
9 iron: 115-120
PW: 100-105

Mostly this is due to me being a pansy, but my ball flight is VERY high. Like I have no problem pretty much sticking my 5 iron and below on the green. It wont run.

So I was thinking, why dont I just go get Irons that all have a few degrees flatter face. I'm even thinking of going way extreme and get like a normal 7-iron type face on a 9-iron length club.

You might say what is the difference but for example I cant hit a 3 iron all that well but if I could swing it like a 5 iron with that club length it might make all the difference,

Im not even sure this would be beneficial so I was wondering if anyone out there has done something similar. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Thinking of getting Custom Irons with much lower lofts..

A lot of tour players have very strong lofts on their irons.

If it would help you out from a mental aspect, I don't see how it could be a bad thing.

You may want to get a lesson before you do this, because perhaps a teaching pro could point out something you're doing to create more loft, which could solve your problem without changing your lofts.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Yeah I took a bunch of lessons when I first started playing, and have had 1 or 2 since then.

I have brought up my question to the instructor but all I have really gotten in response is that my swing speed is too slow, and they changed a thumb position on my grip to get a stronger swing.

The grip didnt add anything and I dont want to swing much faster because I lose ALOT of control. I'm not trying to go pro but it would be nice to be able to reach the green from like 190 without have to use a wood or scream a 3 iron along the ground rolling it up there.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM

thst pro is kind of dumb because a higher swing speed doesnt necessarily mean you will hit it further, but will more than likely make you hit it higher than you already do (which it seems that is not what youre looking for). As for your idea of getting de-lofted clubs, well it really isnt a great idea in the sense that if you take a 5 iron loft and have it cut down to 7 iron length, well all you really are doing is hitting a shorter 5 iron. it will go slightly further than your current 7 iron and more accurate than your current 5 iron but all you really are doing is changing the numbers on your club. and as for longer irons, do you really want to be hitting a 14 or 15 degree 3 iron? That [censored] is almost impossible. My advice is just to bend your irons down 2 degrees and maybe even eliminate one and get a hybrid or another club you can hit longer. And as for reaching the green from 190 out without hitting a wood or screaming a 3 iron up there, what do you think is going to happen if you hit a 5 iron that has the same loft as the 3 iron? It will act the same way.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM

You must be very careful if you have your clubs delofted. Club lofts are matched with the appropriate bounce on the sole. If you deloft more than 1-2 degrees you will adversely effect the playability of the club. Take some lessons and learn to control your ball flight, get a lower flying golf ball, hit more club, anything is better than delofting irons.

Wally
Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must be very careful if you have your clubs delofted. Club lofts are matched with the appropriate bounce on the sole. If you deloft more than 1-2 degrees you will adversely effect the playability of the club. Take some lessons and learn to control your ball flight, get a lower flying golf ball, hit more club, anything is better than delofting irons.

Wally

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said AND:

You may want to go to someone in your area that is a clubfitter, not a teaching pro that fits clubs, someone with the equipment that only fits people for clubs. My guess is that you may think you hit the ball too high, you are probably not hitting it high enough, you may not be hitting the ball fast enough to get distance, it could be a lot of things, I didnt remember seeing what scores you shot, but for someone hitting the driver "only" 250, I assume you are shooting in the 70's with regularity.

If you are hitting the ball too high for your likes, go get a lesson with an instructor that has video, get a bunch of face on shots, check the impact, your left wrist should be bending toward the target, if its not, thats your first job, to fix that. Also, keep in mind if you are getting stronder lofted irons, you are not going to see anything that is bent more than 2 degrees strong, that is not going to greatly affect your ball flight.

Good Luck

tobdog
Old 06-21-2007, 11:52 AM

A shaft change will accomplish the same thing for a lot less money. You may simply need to get shafts with a different stiffness or different flex point.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Ya the shafts could be the problem. What irons/shafts are you playing now?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 PM

Yeah--with shafts a lower bend point will get you more accuracy but give you problems getting the ball off of the ground as well as keeping the ball trajectory lower. Go somewhere like Golfsmith and check out different shafts on the same club and see how that affects your ball fight. Don't get something based on someone's recommendation without trying it out first---one a course if possible.

You may also may want to consider putting the ball a bit back in your stance and see if that helps.