Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Someone please explain the instant call...

I met the same guy (10Kclub) on another final table today. It was a 180 player SnG. Knocked him out at third place and ended up winning the tourney. Oh how sweet revenge is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
@ChrisV

the 'As' is exactly what i was hoping he thought i had. I assumed he would think i had it because i was trapping with Aces several times before that. I thought i had him convinced i like slow playing aces. You're probably right on the value bet part. It would have been more convincing than my all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you can't have been trapping with an ace. He limped in and you didn't raise. A random ace isn't good enough for that to be a trap. I think checking there with a random ace is a fine play, but it does reduce the chance you have an ace since stuff like AQ should be ruled out.

Then on the flop, you checkraise small, presumably showing at least a pair... so now we're looking at, what, As2 or As3 specifically? Your play over the course of the hand didn't provide a consistent picture of an As-containing hand, whereas it provided an exactly consistent picture of what you actually had.

Checkraising here is usually a bad idea because a decent player will not bet small like that on the end unless he's intending to call a checkraise. The reason is that the small amount of additional value he's fishing for is not worth opening himself up to a potential checkraise bluff that he can't call.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I may offer mho ( I am a beginner myself ): even though you hit top pair, he had the backdoor flush draw showing up, in addition to what Civi wrote about the two pair. If I judge this correctly, that type of player would have called your checkraise up to 50k at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

The backdoor flush draw had nothing to do with this flop call.

He did not look at the action and say, gee, I have a backdoor draw to a 3 high flush, looks like a call.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
@Cry Me A River & @Civi

Thanks for the link. I dunno about the terrible part since like i said he was folding to minimum raises before and i always tended to have the winner when i minimum raised previous hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for info. If you put any reads/previous experience with the player in the original post it helps when forming an opinion about a hand. This gives further insight into why you played the hand the way you did.

Good luck.