Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: How long would it take for humans to die out if money had no value

[ QUOTE ]
there's a surprising amount of hate for the op and also stupid discussion in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason there is so much hate is because anyone who has taken an introductory economics class, a modern european history class, or even just followed current events knows that this has ALREADY happened a NUMBER of times. Without the death of humanity.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 PM

No, you guys are wrong. Humanity is already dead. You guys must have missed the memo.

Please stop moving around and lie down now.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM

hey!...Hey! If I was a scientist, you know what I would clone? Hot dogs! Think of all the possibilities, Norm! Imagine, a world with...Hey, what's going on? ..Imagine...hold on! Imagine a world, uh...of - with an endless supply of hot dogs! You could have a hot dog anytime you wanted!

They'd be so abundant, they'd become our currency! 20 hot dogs would equal roughly a nickel. Depending on the strength of the yen, I'm not quite sure, but...you know what, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just keep praying that we can clone one of these hot dogs.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey!...Hey! If I was a scientist, you know what I would clone? Hot dogs! Think of all the possibilities, Norm! Imagine, a world with...Hey, what's going on? ..Imagine...hold on! Imagine a world, uh...of - with an endless supply of hot dogs! You could have a hot dog anytime you wanted!

They'd be so abundant, they'd become our currency! 20 hot dogs would equal roughly a nickel. Depending on the strength of the yen, I'm not quite sure, but...you know what, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just keep praying that we can clone one of these hot dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

God Bless Harry Caray RIP
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: How long would it take for humans to die out if money had no value?

[ QUOTE ]

Or... for the optimists, how long would it take to evolve into some type of utopia where people did things because that's what they really want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem, who wants to slop a [censored] toilet? Oh noez there's poop everywhere. Well, that's one of the problems.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's a surprising amount of hate for the op and also stupid discussion in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason there is so much hate is because anyone who has taken an introductory economics class, a modern european history class, or even just followed current events knows that this has ALREADY happened a NUMBER of times. Without the death of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

big difference between

a) currency devaluation by extreme inflation and currency losing 100% of its value.

b) instant vs more gradual

c) one country vs whole world

d) temporary problem (inflation got lower again) vs permanent (OP assumes no more currency at all)
Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 PM

A hypothesis:

Large companies would quickly trade with each other in massive bartering markets. Similar to stock exchanges, probably mostly electronically organized. They would trade their products, services, and shares of the company. Smaller companies would follow. Workers would work for company credits similar to some factories/mines ~100 years ago for use in company stores. Consumer markets would be the next step, perhaps trading these credits opening access to different stores. Eventually, perhaps sooner than later, commodities, which would hold their value best would take over as the dominant currency in such markets. Commodities would be tracked in accounts, and you could pay for goods or services with them at the market rates through numbered accounts. Low volatility commodities would be in the highest demand, so eventually these, or perhaps 1 of them, could take over as the dominant "currency".

Tell me why I'm dumb.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 AM

"d) temporary problem (inflation got lower again) vs permanent (OP assumes no more currency at all) "

And this is retarded. [censored] would suck but it would be back to normal within a generation.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A hypothesis:

Large companies would quickly trade with each other in massive bartering markets. Similar to stock exchanges, probably mostly electronically organized. They would trade their products, services, and shares of the company. Smaller companies would follow. Workers would work for company credits similar to some factories/mines ~100 years ago for use in company stores. Consumer markets would be the next step, perhaps trading these credits opening access to different stores. Eventually, perhaps sooner than later, commodities, which would hold their value best would take over as the dominant currency in such markets. Commodities would be tracked in accounts, and you could pay for goods or services with them at the market rates through numbered accounts. Low volatility commodities would be in the highest demand, so eventually these, or perhaps 1 of them, could take over as the dominant "currency".

Tell me why I'm dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean we could use a single commodity as the backing for our currency? You just blew my mind.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 AM

how many SoJ's would a gallon of gas cost?