Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
The book certainly has some value, but sorting through it and trying to determine what is "good" advice and what is "bad" may be beyond a lot of beginner's capabilities... so I'd have to really leave this off of most player's curriculum. A more experienced player could possibly tell what is unsound info and what is useful though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which has plenty to do with why I was cynical. The reality seems to be that no one wants to wright a genuinely good NL book. It would be aken to writing a badugi book.

Perhaps NL is far too complex to write anything good. But writing blatantly incorrect advice is wholly inexcusable. I am putting all NL books under this umbrella, except for HOH, which I have not read.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Thank you for all the comments.

No Limit Hold 'Em, and its domination, involves two general things: 1) A learning discipline in the old school sense and 2) an ability to read people.

The book starts with basics, not of Hold 'Em in general, but of No Limit Hold 'Em which, for winners, is a different set of basics. The book's repetition is intentional in order to develop the discipline. The book ends with breaking many of the rules the people who are currently posting object to. Of course those rules must be broken, but they have to be learned first so that the player knows why he is breaking the rules and what the consequences are which he has decided, in each case, will be favorable. He can then be an effective dominator, if he is good at reading people.

C'mon, guys. Will someone please finish the book - and then write a review?

Sam
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 AM

I'm only about half way through, and I kind of like it. I find it similar to JV's Killer Poker No Limit.

Now, that statement right there is enough to get half of this forum to throw their copies of How to Dominate in the trash, unopened and unread. I know that, and in knowing that my statement was intentional. However, I think both books are worthwhile, and for the same reasons.

JV's books really aren't poker strategy books. They are poker psychology books. This has less value when you are writing books about limit hold'em, since limit is mostly about having the best hand at showdown. Limit hold'em is a card game. This is unfortunate for JV, since most of the Killer Poker line is about limit hold'em. And that's why the Killer Poker series has such a bad reputation around here. That, and JV's constant BAD jokes.

But, as Sam states over and over in How to Dominate (and states correctly), NL is a people game. Both Killer Poker No Limit and How to Dominate take a very similar approach in teaching beginners how to play live, low limit NL hold'em. Personally, I think it is a correct approach.

First, be observant. Understand the other players at the table. Learn who is weak, who is aggressive, who plays too many hands, and who is incapable of folding.

Then, establish your own table image. Let the observant players recognize you're tight. Let players know it will cost them chips to play pot with you. And let them know you won't stack off just because you have top pair.

Then, you play poker. You play a combination of your image, your position and your cards. Because in NL, your cards really do count last.

Be the 6th grade playground bully. Beat up the weaklings and take their money. Don't pick fights with people who will fight back, unless you know in advance it won't be a FAIR fight ('cause you're on the button with pocket aces). Charge people usurious fees to chase their straight and flush draws. C-Bet with rags when you have position in a dry flop. Shoplift pots like a punk teenager at the mall.

And there you go. Some people don't like those kind of poker books. I find that usually, it's people who became very good limit players by reading the various, high quality, limit hold'em cookbooks currently available. The problem is that limit strategy can be outlined fairly comprehensively. Because limit is a card game - Show down the best hand on the river and win the pot. NL isn't like that. So NL books aren't like that. Much less "What do I do when I flop bottom two pair?" and much more "What is my estimation of my opponent's play style, and what is his likely estimation of mine?"

BTW Sam, we told you when you posted here that we weren't kind to poker authors. Even Sklansky get his fair share of ripping (his NL book anyway). I know I'd really like it if you stuck around, but brother you're gonna have to have one thick skin if you plan to do that. Ed Miller ended up going and starting his own web site, and Sklansky has his own sub-forum here that he is the moderator of and he rarely strays from.

In fact, it might pay off in the long run for you to open your own low limit no limit poker strategy web site. Pay to maintain your own site, or stay here, go to Wal-mart and buy Malox by the case. Probably the same total cost by the end of the year.

Oh, and totally don't discount the idea of "How to Dominate, 2nd Edition" when this current print run runs out. It took Lee Jones three tries to get Winning Low Limit Hold'em right, and right now the 3rd Ed. is a decent first book for limit hold'em. Constructive feedback from some of the people here (mostly Mason, and a few of the NL cash forum regulars like orange & pokey) should be taken as a word to the wise. Ignore everyone else, particularly me 'cause I've just go no idea.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for all the comments.

No Limit Hold 'Em, and its domination, involves two general things: 1) A learning discipline in the old school sense and 2) an ability to read people.

The book starts with basics, not of Hold 'Em in general, but of No Limit Hold 'Em which, for winners, is a different set of basics. The book's repetition is intentional in order to develop the discipline. The book ends with breaking many of the rules the people who are currently posting object to. Of course those rules must be broken, but they have to be learned first so that the player knows why he is breaking the rules and what the consequences are which he has decided, in each case, will be favorable. He can then be an effective dominator, if he is good at reading people.

C'mon, guys. Will someone please finish the book - and then write a review?

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

jeez, i'm trying to finish it sam. some of us do have lives you know? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyway, i have a feeling some things are afoot in the remainder of the book. i'm about 1/2 of the way through. as i've said, i like the reminders about knowing your opponents.

i'll write more when i'm done. but i've pretty much already endorsed reading this.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 AM

Any full reviews yet?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM

I've cracked out another 100 pages, and I see nothing to change or add to my previous post.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Ok, I'm through it now. I won't change my opinion that this is a book worthy of reading. Being picky for a moment, it's a little alarming to see references to "Tom Hellmuth" and "confidant" (not confident) in the text. Those are small points though. The rest of the writing is very easy to read.

When you get to the last section, the 400 series, you'll see how the Dominator role comes together. The author states that by now we will have played a little TAG, LAG, weak-tight, passive, etc. and will know how players think in those styles. Overall I thought it was good. Plenty of hand examples and explanations of the basis for reads, which is something I always need help with.

I intend to spend more time with this book as there is a lot to digest. I do think that a bit more of an explanation or disclaimer could have been made in the early pages to make the reader aware of where it is we're going. Maybe it was there and I missed it. Anyway, definitely worth a read. I would buy another book from this author for sure.

Now, when is Professional No Limit coming out? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM

ordering mine tonight...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM

I just got mine today, and I should be able to read it over the next two days I hope. The typing as they say ,, I was kind of hoping because they waited for close to two weeks before shipping it, that it would be the corrected version but it wasn't.

one thing I immediately do when i get a book is look at the back to see sometimes what the author reccomends for books,software,, and if he is going to be working on a future book or not.

these could be put into a revised edition or third printing.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM

I just received an overnight sample of the new print run. The book looks good. Nice dark print.

What a hassle it was. But now you can order with confidence.

Sam