Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Semi-Pro Question (First Post)

OP - one piece of advice i have for you is to decide if you are going to treat it like a job (poker) and see how it effects your play.

I tried the "ok at 8pm I will play for 2 hours" thing and basically it sucked. You end up playing when you don't want to which = not playing well. Not sure what your schedule is though and if this is relevant to you but keep it in mind. Then I would set like hand amounts played per day and try and do that which ended up in me playing sessions way longer than I wanted to.

This might not effect you at all but just keep it in mind.

As for your bad beats post them in the "low content" threads.

Also you're going to want way more than 30 buy ins before you "go pro" I'd say.

Another suggestion would be looking into getting some $ on other sites if you are a full ring player (or learn short handed). Full ring games don't really go that often from what I see.

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this and if you continue to do that with everything else you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM

my schedule right now is that I work my regular job from 10-6:30 PM M-F. I usually get home by 6:45, and take an hour to eat, relax, whatever. At about 8 PM, Im jumping on to 2-4 tables, playing for 3 hours on average. Im generally not well rested or completely focused when Im playing, as the tv is generally going or Im multitasking. On the weekends, I almost always play live, about 18 hours, but sometimes I stay home and play less hours online. Lately its been all limit, with a NL MTT thrown in.
As far a "pro" bankroll goes, Im hearing differing opinions here, from 500bb to 1000bb +. I know some decent players that go through massive swings, but somehow end up ahead. Id much rather make less and take fewer swings. Id be more than just fine making 150bb a month plus rakeback. Im not the most solid limit player, but Im disciplined enough to be a small winner.

I would ideally have something like 2000 BB plus expenses if I were to play without a backup plan. I feel I can find a comparable job within a month or two if things dont work out, so it might be worth the risk with 600 BB or so. I dont have enough stats on myself to be this confident tho...
Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM

I would recommend establishing good habits from the beginning.

Turn off the TV and close your internet browser. I think listening to music is fine if you need more stimulation.

Take a break every hour at first, for 15 minutes. Stand up, stretch, take a snack if you are hungry.

When you start feeling like you don't want to play any more in a day, go to your blinds and then immediately stop.

This will help prevent burnout particularly at first, and if you do well you can consider relaxing these rules.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 PM

This might be on the opposite end of the spectrum here when it comes to developing good habits, and it might label me as a donk, but...What about these "calculator" programs that seem to be flooding the market? Are any of these things useful, does anyone use them? Are they going to give me any real insight? Also, old articles seem to suggest that poker bots are on the verge of ruining online poker. Does any of that have merit these days, or are people still using these bots?
I know this may come across as completely noobish but Im just curious.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM

you should get yourself a pattern mapper, ldo.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 AM

despite working in the tech industry I know very little about all these poker tools. I was just curious. Anyhow, its probably better for me to make my own decisions.