Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Greg Raymer shows his ass on national tv

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we debating the 2nd amendment IN THE TELEVISED POKER FORUM

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is typical oldcycles. he thinks it's his right to be angry.

go get 'em kid. sorry you gun guys have been so beaten down over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you responded to my post I will assume you are assuming I am a gun guy. My post pointed out Greg's failing as a potential political candidate. Not even close to being a gun guy. Absorb the meaning of a post before you make assumptions.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And than all you Rednecks say but it is in the Constitution, well that has been made about 330 years ago and it was a little bit more unsafe around those time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an NRA member nor am I too keen on people having guns at home but I get a kick out of these blanket assumptions that someone who supports gun ownership must somehow be a redneck.

This story goes back to about the time most of you were born but it does point out a certain hypocrisy and shows that not all gun owners are rednecks.

Carl Rowan, an African-American columnist for the Washington Post carried on for years that if you were found to have a gun, you should go to jail. Lo and behold, someone tried to break into Rowan's house and the vocal anti-gun advocate pulled out a .22 and shot one of the potential robbers in the wrist. Rowan was not charged even though DC has about the strictest gun laws in the country.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All gun owners are rednecks? Nice stereotype there.

There are certainly places in the US that are MUCH MORE unsafe than things were back in the colonial days.

Not every country has the same culture as yours. I've lived in Holland and it is a very safe country -- my parents would allow me to take public transportation around town, walk to town by myself, etc. at a fairly young age (junior high) -- I doubt they would have allowed me to do the same in some cities in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Apologized for the Redneck situation.

I know that not all of the U.S. is safe but there are a few things I think that are important. I think it's pretty easy to understand that an typical Nightshop owner in a poor neighboorhood has an .45 next to his cashregister. But also there are people who live in suburbia somewhere have 7 Shotguns and more handguns in their home, if you are a sportshooter or someone who likes to hunt it's understandeble to have some rifles at your home. In Holland you can have also get a license to have a Firearm, but only if you are a member of a shooting range or a hunting federation, the people who aply for a license are first screened. So far as I know there was about one incident in the last 5 years with a person who had a license. Ofcourse you can't compare this with the U.S. because of there is a lot more poverty and cultural differences. But still this is a major difference with 12000 a year. This is also beause there are a lot more rules about having a firearm, such as you have to hold your weapons in a safe, you can't walk over the street with them unless the weapon is not loaded and in a bag etc.

Oh and holland has more than 15 million citizens and is tightest population of the world, and there are a lot of different cultures living here to.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you responded to my post I will assume you are assuming I am a gun guy. My post pointed out Greg's failing as a potential political candidate. Not even close to being a gun guy. Absorb the meaning of a post before you make assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll notice my first line was explicitly about oldcycles and my second line was in reference to something he posted.

i recommend you heed your own advice, kind sir.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll notice my first line was explicitly about oldcycles and my second line was in reference to something he posted.

i recommend you heed your own advice, kind sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have some anti Hellmuth threads to start?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM

I had no idea this thread would grow like this.
I figured once Greg answered it was over.
By the way thanks for answering Greg.

As for you other haters go pound salt, I hear everyone cry every time someone says something uninformed about poker in public.
There has been a subtle movement in the public and the media against firearms owners for years and although it may not have been intentional I had the opportunity to go straight to the source in this case.
They always show some gun wielding nut job killing innocent people but never talk about the hundreds of lives saved everyday by ordinary citizens who own a firearm.
As for our European friend when says how safe countries are without the public having weapons just check out your neighbors in England.
Since they did a total ban on guns the crime rate has gone through the roof and the same thing is happening in Australia.

As for me being a little harsh in the op maybe I was but earlier that day I was at a friends house playing a video game and they had some nuts on it who were going to kill someone and making some comment about gun rights and it was a blatant crack on gun owners.

But you guys are missing the main point.
If we are to have a strong poker lobby it takes more than a few thousand members and that was one of the things I was trying to point out.
When you hear politicians cry about the NRA they talk about it like it is some kind of stand alone entity they don't tell you it consists of over 4 million ordinary citizens and its supporters.
Instead of saying NRA they should be saying a large part of the US population.
If we as poker players could do just a third of that we would have a very strong lobby.

Ok start bashing away at me again.

oldcycles
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 PM

congrats on blocking the renewal of the assault weapons ban. i for one am proud that americans can have pure killing machines in their homes.

and 4 million out of 300 million american citizens is not a large part of the population.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been told by a person I trusted that the NRA only had a few hundred thousand members. I said it on TV. Apparently, they were mistaken, and I repeated bad information. Sorry.

BTW, chill out. It's not a big deal, is it?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me paraphrase what I think OP was trying to say in a bit calmer voice:

Greg, you want to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency of the most powerful nation on Earth. It seems irresponsible to be so poorly informed on a national issue such as this, and speak about it on tv. Especially as a Libertarian candidate, when gun control is a very important issue for many Libertarians.

So, yes, it is a big deal, seeing as how it concerns the Bill of Rights.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM

Wow. It's a good thing, that so far, nothing has been said by the PAD players about abortion. Unless, NBC just edited out any of those comments.

Obviously, NBC had no idea how important gun control is to poker players. What really surprises me though, is how none of you are upset about Daniel Negreanu's tofu agenda, that he is constantly pushing on the unsuspecting public. First, on High Stakes Poker and now on PAD.

Greg, I will vote for you, as long as you promise to stop the tofu lobbyists like Daniel Negreanu.

Gun control and abortion are both important issues to discuss, but tofu (bean curd) is something that threatens to increase our planet's greenhouse gas emmissions to staggering levels. Please put an end to this madness, Greg.

I thank you in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Closed Thread