Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Bonehead play keeps me out of the 60\'s

This is sort of a crosspost from 'What's you shoot today.'

I go out in 32, stand at 3-under par on the 15th hole. It's a par three, 175 yards. Downhill, front pin, I'm dialed in, and all I'm thinking about is smoothing a nice 7-iron to ten feet or less.

I proceed to tee my ball up and make a bad swing. The real problem?? I teed my ball up OUTSIDE the tee markers.

I didn't look the rule up until I got down to my ball, but I knew there was a penalty. The rule states that you must take two strokes, then play another from the teeing ground.

Instead of going back to the tee, I just counted it as my second ball. Creative scorekeeping? Sure, but still accurate. I wasn't playing in a tournament, so there was no worry of disqualification - just figuring the score out fairly as not to slow down play.

So, after carding my quad, I birdie the next, double the 17th (dumb play I don't want to get into) and par the 18th for a two-over par 74.

So the question is - what was the most boneheaded thing you've ever done on the golf course? It can be boneheaded for boneheaded sake, or something that threw a round away.

Let's hear it!

- Jay
Old 06-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Bonehead play keeps me out of the 60\'s

High school golf tournament a couple years ago, I was on my 17th hole (shotgun start). I was about 6 over which was pretty good at the time, I had a downhill 5 footer or so, another kid's ball was about 8 feet away but pretty much off to the side.

Me being impatient go ahead and hit the ball, I lip out pretty hard, and it goes down the hill and hits his ball. 2-stroke penalty and I end up making a triple-bogey and shoot 82 when I could've easily broken 80.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 AM

I was three under after 35 holes in a professional tournament. I had missed the last three cuts and was thinking that a par on the last hole would make the cut by a mile. Short par five with ob left. I hit a two iron off the tee, lay up with a seven iron hit my sw to about 15 feet and casually two putt to make a par. Head in to post my score and later find out I miss the cut by one. What a bozo I could have reached the par five in two and easily had a great chance at birdie but instead I miss the cut and head on down the road. I guess that is why I no longer play pro golf. LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Why didn't someone in your group tell you that you were tee'd up infront of it?? That and not reminding someone to move back their ball mark on the green, if you know they have forgotten are two of the biggest dick things to do if you're playing competitively.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:17 AM

Nothing too dramatic like in a tournament, but I was playing pretty well, got to a dogleg left Par 4, and hit a high 3 wood to perfect position. When I get to ball, it's plugged in the fairway. Not knowing the rules, I tried hitting it as it lied, dumped it into a ravine in front of the green and made a triple.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 AM

Tripling the 18th when I had the lead in a Jr. World Qualifier only to miss by 1.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't someone in your group tell you that you were tee'd up infront of it??

[/ QUOTE ]
He said "outside" which implies right/left IMO, which is even more bizarre. I guess "outside" could also mean "ahead of", but it's a confusing term nonetheless.

They say you make your biggest mistakes when you're playing well, and in the two-man scramble day of our biggest event of the year that rang true. This is 3-4 years ago. There was a drive minimum for each player but we are absolutely crushing it. Could do no wrong. With four holes to go though we still needed to use two of my teammate's drives. He was about a 16 handicap and I was about a 4. He hits a passable drive on a par 5 but having a rush of blood to the head I talk him into taking my drive since I felt we could do no wrong.

Terrible decision. The way the hole was set up we needed to carry a dry creek and stop it almost immediately to have an eagle chance. We didn't and IIRC only parred the hole. The next hole he hit a top about 50 yards which we couldn't take. That meant we were taking his drive on the last two holes no matter what.

On a ~160 yard par 3, perhaps feeling the pressure, he pulled it into the desert. Even with a clublength improvement and placing the ball we flailed around in the [censored] long enough that we carded a crippling triple bogey on a hole we should have taken no worse than par.

On the final hole teammate hits a weak bloop but now I'm a racecar running in the red so I hammer a 3-wood over the green, chip back, and make the putt, all my shots for a birdie on a par-5. Went on to just finish out of the money though because of my retarded call on the earlier drive.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing too dramatic like in a tournament, but I was playing pretty well, got to a dogleg left Par 4, and hit a high 3 wood to perfect position. When I get to ball, it's plugged in the fairway. Not knowing the rules, I tried hitting it as it lied, dumped it into a ravine in front of the green and made a triple.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the rule on this? im too lazy to look it up.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's this one, please correct me if I'm wrong.

25-2 Embedded Ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.“Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's this one, please correct me if I'm wrong.

25-2 Embedded Ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.“Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty, i was not aware of this rule either [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]