Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

I thought the political scheming was an incredibly amateurish, paint-by-numbers business, and that the stop motion action was sometimes repetitive and actually disruptive of the flow of action, and that some of the backdrops looked like cardboard, but I went to see a violent action movie, and got that. There were some funny bits that I thought were outstanding, too, like the whole business about who really brought more warriors to the battle.

I'd sit down and watch it again without hesitation. But it would have to be a good screen, because the movie's bread and butter is its visual excitement, and it has little else. It would be a shame to see this one on a small screen.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Dreamgirls

okay, I just finished watching this:

wow, what a crashing bore this was. Didn't like it at all. The songs were not very good and kinda ran togetherexcept for the Jennifer Holiday (she did it better) showstopper in the middle.

Really, it bored me to tears. Looked good, though.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Spirited Away

Second time I watch it. I didn't like it the first time, but I watched it again, because a large group of my friends was watching it.
I liked it more the second time. The first time I didn't like it because it felt like it was being Alice in Wonderland without being original. But now I realized that even though it is an idea like Alice in Wonderland, Spirited Away still takes you to a really amazing fanntasy world. There's creative and pleasing images throughout the movie. I am glad I gave the movie a second chance.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Deja Vu - I'm a big fan of Tony Scott's last few pictures, especially Man on Fire, but this one stunk. Interesting premise but any time travel story has problems making sense and this one really messes up it's own logic. I like Denzel, Val Kilmer is wasted, and there was some nice touches in the end, but DEJA VU suffers from too many story problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - this movie stunk and left me wishing i could go back in time about 2hours
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spirited Away

Second time I watch it. I didn't like it the first time, but I watched it again, because a large group of my friends was watching it.
I liked it more the second time. The first time I didn't like it because it felt like it was being Alice in Wonderland without being original. But now I realized that even though it is an idea like Alice in Wonderland, Spirited Away still takes you to a really amazing fanntasy world. There's creative and pleasing images throughout the movie. I am glad I gave the movie a second chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you gave it another chance. It works with mythical themes of the hero's journey in interesting, somewhat provocative ways. The throughline of the movie wasn't a literal one, as with much of the best fiction.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM

Blarg & Katy & Dom & Carter (1969)

Just beautiful man.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg & Katy & Dom & Carter (1969)

Just beautiful man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... which one is in drag?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 AM

Nancy Drew

This one is for the girls. Plot seemed dated and things got a bit corny at times. But for the women of the Lounge who have read the books and have kids, worth the time.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

And this ones for the boys. If you are still reading comic books, obviously a must see, though nothing special other than seeing the characters on sceen rather than in print.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Deja Vu - I'm a big fan of Tony Scott's last few pictures, especially Man on Fire, but this one stunk. Interesting premise but any time travel story has problems making sense and this one really messes up it's own logic. I like Denzel, Val Kilmer is wasted, and there was some nice touches in the end, but DEJA VU suffers from too many story problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - this movie stunk and left me wishing i could go back in time about 2hours

[/ QUOTE ]

could not disagree more. thought it was a very clever, well thought out film
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Waterborne (Warning: possible spoilers)

This is an independent film starring Chris Masterson and Jeff Muxworthy as the main protagonists. Ajay Naidu (Zamir from Office Space) also stars as a convenience store clerk.

The movie premise is that terrorists have poisoned an LA area water supply. Instead of focusing on the mass hysteria, however, they focus on how the lives of individuals are affected. Masterson and Muxworthy, Naidu and his girlfriend, and the lives of two military officers and one of their families is specifically focused on.

This movie is more about style over substance, and that becomes obvious throughout the film. It tries to gives us a personal feel, and it succeeds on some levels. A "shaky" cam is even used at times, but it doesn't take away from or improve the movie in my opinion.

The music is very well done, as it really establishes mood. Eventually, all of the characters intertwine at the end.

The main problem I had with this film is that nothing really happens. Even when something happens, it doesn't seem all that interesting. I also found myself not caring about the characters too much. At 75 minutes, The movie jumps right into the plot without any real character development. This may have been the purpose, demonstrating to us that we could be any of these characters, but I was not a fan of that approach here.

All of the reviews I have found for the movie were positive.

Overall, I would give it a 5.5-6/10. Worth one watch, as it is an interesting idea and the mood is set well. However, the lack of character development and any real satisfying substance hurts the film IMO. This movie could have used another 15 minutes.
Closed Thread