Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Folding KK on the river for 1BB in a big pot

I was multi-tabling so I didn't really have a read.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold</font>, Button calls, 1 fold</font>, Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (23.50 SB) T, 9, 6 (5 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls, Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

<font color="red">Anyone c/r the flop, or play it differently?</font>

Turn: (17.75 BB) 2 (4 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

<font color="red">The Flop smoothe call to my 3-bet from UTG+2 and turn raise really threw me off here - I instinctively frooze and just called the raise - would it have been better to 3-jack? I mean against a rational player, all of his play so far is basically one thing.</font>

River: (23.75 BB) 5 (3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

<font color="red">Would b/f be better? Why or why not? I would have insta-called here if MP1 folded, but I think it's a pretty bad call with 1 cold caller who could already have me beaten by a better PP.</font>

Final Pot: 25.75 BB
Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Folding KK on the river for 1BB in a big pot

nothing to see here about not reading the pre-flop right You can just call down from the turn, 3 people in someone is on a flush draw.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 PM

kerowo what are you talking about
Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 PM

No idea how I missed that. Must have just skipped to the call at the end of that mess. Still not much point in betting that turn.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 PM

i would bet it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 PM

Taking it to valuetown on the flop is the right move. Pot's huge, no one's going anywhere. You gotta figure a lot of bets are going in whether you checkraise or bet/3b.

3-bet the turn? No way. I probably "check and see". (MP1 is the preflop capper and the other guy liked the flop.)

Hard to believe there's even a 4% chance you're winning this pot after MP1 calls. But then again, it doesn't matter a heck of a lot what you do in gigantic pots for one bet. I have no idea if these opponents are rational. Go ahead and call. I know this is not strategy but you can buy a lot of peace of mind for 20 cents.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't think it really matters what you do post-flop in a pot this big as far as protection or whatnot goes, you just have to figure out how likely it is you still have the best hand and then if you would like to put any more bets in.

You could just bet with your equity edge or you could check and wait for the turn to exploit your equity depending on the card. You aren't going to protect your hand anywhere in this pot so I would just try and read the situation as best as you can.

When a pre-flop limper and then cold-caller wakes up here you should immediately start worrying I think. I doubt I would 3-bet the flop. You obviously aren't going to fold, but I would wait for the turn here. On that card I would probably check call again and then again on the river. I really don't see a need to throw a whole bunch of bets in here in this spot. As played I am not folding the river getting infinity-1.