Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: NBA Draft bust prediction thread

[ QUOTE ]
I could see it if his rebounding was any good, but it's actually pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was 108th in the country is pace adjusted offensive rebounding, and 6th in defensive rebounded. I fail to see how that is in any way a bad rebounder, especially defensively.

link
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for Wilcox, I agree with both sides. He's now awful like Clark says, he's been a slightly above average player the past couple of years. But he is clueless as GKA points out. He's alright, but I think he'd thrive more getting 20-25 mpg off the bench.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I just disagree with the "OMG theres no possible way that B Wright could ever turn out that bad" line of thinking. Lots of highly drafted players don't pan out. Wilcox is AT WORST a bench player that gets some minutes. Its certainly a possibility that Wright never realizes his potential and is just a 6th/7th man. Am I confident in this? No, not at all. But OP asked us to pick a bust, so I chose someone who I thought could.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is Al Thornton not on more folks' lists? His potential is limited by age (23!!), and his ball skills are well below average. I could see it if his rebounding was any good, but it's actually pretty bad. His outside shot is nonexistant. He has (some) size and great athleticism, and that's it, and must learn every fundamental of basketball before he peaks in just a few years just to be an average contributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably becuase theres a chance he doesn't go top 10 and you're not really a huge bust if you aren't a star if you're not top 10.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for Wilcox, I agree with both sides. He's now awful like Clark says, he's been a slightly above average player the past couple of years. But he is clueless as GKA points out. He's alright, but I think he'd thrive more getting 20-25 mpg off the bench.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I just disagree with the "OMG theres no possible way that B Wright could ever turn out that bad" line of thinking. Lots of highly drafted players don't pan out. Wilcox is AT WORST a bench player that gets some minutes. Its certainly a possibility that Wright never realizes his potential and is just a 6th/7th man. Am I confident in this? No, not at all. But OP asked us to pick a bust, so I chose someone who I thought could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone watched Wilcox recently? He is actually pretty sick and would put up big numbers on the Suns. He is continuing to improve and imo a very solid player, not a bust in the least.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and also...that team did win 52 games 2 years ago with a very similar lineup(minus Wilcox), so getting 30+ minutes for them isn't exactly something anyone could do like you make it sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he beat out Nick Collison for the starting job.

Also, anyone can get stats if they get 31 mpg. This should be obvious. One only has to look at the numbers all sorts of scrubs put up over the last 1/4 of last season as teams were tanking. Yet, he only put up a little more than 13ppg on a team that was without a single scoring threat other than Ray Allen for most of the season.

He doesn't suck, but he's not a legit NBA starter either. He would be optimally used as like the 2nd man off the bench on a decent team.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So consistent foul trouble is evidence that he's good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawman much?

Not getting 38+ minutes isn't proof he's bad, either, genius. He's an efficient scorer and a solid rebounder, making him a solid big man in the NBA. You're wrong. Sorry.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So consistent foul trouble is evidence that he's good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawman much?

Not getting 38+ minutes isn't proof he's bad, either, genius. He's an efficient scorer and a solid rebounder, making him a solid big man in the NBA. You're wrong. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a below average starting power forward who puts up mediocre stats and plays average at best D on a team with a complete derth of frontcourt talent.

Basically, he's a 6th man. By comparison, he's worse than a guy like Andres Noccioni, and I don't know that anyone thinks he would be anything other than a below-average NBA starter, but is a very handy bench guy.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM

About Wilcox

The year the Celtics signed Dan Dickau, he had just averaged 13.2 points and 5.2 assists for a terrible Hornets team.

He ended up behind Orien Greene on the depth chart for the C's the very next year.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your thoughts on B Wright, but never came away impressed with Brewer? Did you watch the national championship? Have you seen him play defense? His ballhandling isn't great but it's about average for a draftee, and his shooting skyrocketed in the 2nd half of the year. And I hate Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was 17 for 56 from deep in SEC play, and 33.6% for the year.

Yeah, he was 7 for 13 in the Final Four, but he was also 5 for 19 in the four previous games (and that includes 3 for 6 in the opening round against Jackson State).

He's not a good shooter, at least not yet. ANy team that drafts him thinking he's a multidimensional offensive threat is going to be disappointed.

-McGee
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 AM

clarkmeister thank you for pwning these gentlemen sir. I completely agree with the quote below.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, he's a 6th man. By comparison, he's worse than a guy like Andres Noccioni, and I don't know that anyone thinks he would be anything other than a below-average NBA starter, but is a very handy bench guy.

[/ QUOTE ]