Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Best way to earn 3$/hour

Homersimpson, what you want to look into is rakeback. You can find good information in the "Affiliates/Rakeback" forum.

Get a good rakeback deal, and you can make $3/hour on rakeback alone. Poker winnings will be gravy.

If you are not in the US there are many sites with good rakeback offers. My recommendation would be to try to find one that allows the smallest short-buys possible. OnGame used to allow just 10BBs, but I don't know anymore. If you can get in the neighborhood of 33% dealt rakeback and a 10BB buyin, you can just 12-table and open-shove JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK and fold the rest, and you should make your nut just off the rakeback.

How much money do you have to start out? This may be more important than you poker skill. (If you have $200 to start with you will actually have to be good at poker to make $3/hr, but if you have $8000 you can make $3/hr playing like a money.)

I'm sure you have more questions. Feel free to post them.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Get a job?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 PM

Are you saying it's posible to make $3 USD per hour going all in with about 3.5% of your hands.

Or are you saying you can make $20 USD per hour using this strat?

Besides, $20 per hour is a about 42K a year. You won't be living like a rockstar, but Most people don't make that their first year out of college. If it's that easy I need to stop grinding out a bankroll at the $0.01-$0.02 pstars tables.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$3 an hour and no job security is bad

[/ QUOTE ]

In some of the eastern Europe countries they have never heard of job security.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess 3$/hour here, equals around 20$/hour in USA

[/ QUOTE ]
The best way to make $3/hour is to make $30/hour, and then send 90% to me.

$20/hour in the US may sound fine to a student (including many college students who read these boards), who is used to seeing people work for $7/hour in unskilled labor. I know it felt great to get $20/hour one summer in college. However, it's tough to raise a family on that little, or even to be single in an expensive city. While the per capita income in the US is about equivalent to $17/hour, that average is over both the people who work and the majority of people who don't (children, retirees, etc.). $40k per year is at best mediocre in the US, and it is a mistake for an intelligent student to trade a normal career for a dead-end opportunity that pays $20/hour with no benefits (no paid holidays, paid vacations, paid sick leave, health insurance, retirement contributions, some expenses, etc.). A programmer with 6 years experience averages over $40/hour with benefits. High school teachers average about $25/hour with benefits. See www.salary.com .

So, I hope you meant $3/hour for you is more like $50/hour in the US. That was the case for several Eastern and Central European countries a decade ago, although the situation may be different now.

You can make $3/hour by playing a few tables of penny-ante NL (big blind $0.02) if you have the skills. You can also do it by playing 1 table at a time of $5 single table tournaments or $0.50-$1 limit, assuming that you are an expert and play on a site with a decent structure and fast software. If you want to win $3/hour without being an expert, though, you'll need to play for much higher stakes, or to play more tables at the same time. I think the simplest to learn to play would be the single table tournaments.

Many online poker pros have a hard time playing for 40 hours per week, for a variety of reasons. Most jobs don't involve making crucial decisions constantly. You may want to aim for a higher hourly rate if you aren't sure you can play 40 hours per week.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying it's posible to make $3 USD per hour going all in with about 3.5% of your hands.

Or are you saying you can make $20 USD per hour using this strat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I think if you open 12 $100NL tables, put $10 on each, have a RB deal at 33%, and open-shove 3.5% of your hands and fold the rest you will probably make enough back to pay for you blinds, and your rakeback will be > $3 per hour.

OP isn't interested in learning poker or being good at poker. To make $3 per hour at the tables you have to win. I tried to come up with the simplest and lowest variance strategy that I think would break even. Do it enough and he should make his $3 in rakeback alone.

He said $3 was like $20 in his country. He doesn't want to make $20 an hour. Heck, maybe all the time at the tables he'll end up enjoying the game and learn to play, but this'll get you started, as long as you have $4000+.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, $20 per hour is a about 42K a year. You won't be living like a rockstar, but Most people don't make that their first year out of college. If it's that easy I need to stop grinding out a bankroll at the $0.01-$0.02 pstars tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response was making no judgments about how OP was going to live on $3 an hour. I leave that to him.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Just curious Kirtsf... what does "open-shove" mean... Do you mean to play 3.5% of your hands all the way regardless? Just curious.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious Kirtsf... what does "open-shove" mean... Do you mean to play 3.5% of your hands all the way regardless? Just curious.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Open shove means to go all-in on your first action.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Lazy and playing fulltime is not a good combo. Full time is tougher then you think.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can lose $3/hr playing 3tables of 10nl

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]