Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Default 3K WSOP - 150 left- A couple of close spots with 75o

150 left in 3k event. I have just been moved to a new table 1 orbit ago. Blinds 400/800 ante 100. AVG stack 30,000. 81 paid. I have most of my experience at STTs, so I haven't played much with antes at a full table.

Hand #1:
fold to button who pushes 3225, his wife and daughter had just been waving at him all excited-like, so he's not a pro. I don't know if he let himself get blinded down or has lost a hand recently. So I have 75o on the BB with 15000. I pretty sure this is a call unless i put him on like top 15%, right?

He shows J9 and hit a J on the river to win. I make a comment about it almost being a good call, but also show a little emotion as I really needed those chips. The guy to my left responds saying "Well, I guess you were getting some odds". 3 hands ago he was acting upset by QQ losing to A8 after an 8 high flop that he wasn't involved in. So just seemed nitty to me.

Very next hand:
Folds around to me with in SB with about 12000 chips, nit in BB has a little over 10,000. I look down at 75o again, think about the coincidence, and... Shove, Raise, or Fold, (or call, and donk bet any flop)?

Basically whats the play against the nit in this situation? I think raising and shoving are both +EV, but without a strong read, I'm not sure because him restealing with crap would be absolutely devastating.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 3K WSOP - 150 left- A couple of close spots with 75o

Shoving has its value here. Depending on how the table has been playing I'd either fold of shove, raising is terrible here.

-If the table has been active where you don't think you'll be able to open shove from LP without some one already in the pot, this is probably a good time to shove.

-IF the table has been TIGHT and you think you'll be able to open shove from Cut-off or the button sometime relatively soon(next couple of hands), I'd fold and wait for a better spot where I can open shove and pick up a better spot.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM

First call is marginal. You want to call off good gambles, not marginal ones. Fold.

A "nit" is not enough of a read to shove here. The nit's read on you is good enough for him to call with a nice range; I'm kinduv nitty, and my calling range is pretty [censored]' wide. I think I may call you with almost any ace, to be honest.

Barry
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
150 left in 3k event. I have just been moved to a new table 1 orbit ago. Blinds 400/800 ante 100. AVG stack 30,000. 81 paid. I have most of my experience at STTs, so I haven't played much with antes at a full table.

Hand #1:
fold to button who pushes 3225, his wife and daughter had just been waving at him all excited-like, so he's not a pro. I don't know if he let himself get blinded down or has lost a hand recently. So I have 75o on the BB with 15000. I pretty sure this is a call unless i put him on like top 15%, right?

He shows J9 and hit a J on the river to win. I make a comment about it almost being a good call, but also show a little emotion as I really needed those chips. The guy to my left responds saying "Well, I guess you were getting some odds". 3 hands ago he was acting upset by QQ losing to A8 after an 8 high flop that he wasn't involved in. So just seemed nitty to me.

Very next hand:
Folds around to me with in SB with about 12000 chips, nit in BB has a little over 10,000. I look down at 75o again, think about the coincidence, and... Shove, Raise, or Fold, (or call, and donk bet any flop)?

Basically whats the play against the nit in this situation? I think raising and shoving are both +EV, but without a strong read, I'm not sure because him restealing with crap would be absolutely devastating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a random opponent in one of these tournaments you must go allin with the 75o, or at least raise. Against someone good who isn't scared to make a tough call you don't have to.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First call is marginal. You want to call off good gambles, not marginal ones. Fold.

A "nit" is not enough of a read to shove here. The nit's read on you is good enough for him to call with a nice range; I'm kinduv nitty, and my calling range is pretty [censored]' wide. I think I may call you with almost any ace, to be honest.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

They will have to call with a lot more than any ace for this to be a bad push.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

curtains - you are correct, and I should have been clearer about my range:

K9+; Q10+; A2+; 22-AA; J10+. I really need to pokerstove more often, also...I suck.

Barry
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains - you are correct, and I should have been clearer about my range:

K9+; Q10+; A2+; 22-AA; J10+. I really need to pokerstove more often, also...I suck.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I think large majority of people are likely to fold the worst of those hands.