Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Default I get TT as chipleader, 15 left, Paradise 40k guar. rebuy

This was from yesterdays Paradise $40k guaranteed rebuy. 15 people left, I am the chipleader with 240k. UTG has 140k. Average stack is about T100K. Blinds are 6,000/12,000, w/ 600 ante. The problem with this situation is that I just got moved to this table, so I haven't seen this guy play yet. I don't like posting no-read hands, but this is the only thats been bothering me from this whole tournament. Thanks for the help.

I get T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP.

UTG raises to 24,000, I'm the only caller.

FLOP: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG leads for 12,000, I raise to 50,000, he insta-calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG insta-pushes for his last 88,000. Pot is now 170k.

Hero... ??
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: I get TT as chipleader, 15 left, Paradise 40k guar. rebuy

Interesting hand, thanks for posting.

I'm respecting his UTG raise without any reads and assuming he's 77+, AJ+, KQ. His small flop lead, half the size of the preflop bet makes me think he's got something like AK/AQ/KQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and he wants to chase down a flush cheaply, or he's got AA-JJ/AJ and wants you to play back at him. The instacall of your big reraise makes me lean towards a big hand that wanted action.

I'd have a really hard time calling the push here without a read, so I think I'd fold this turn and make better use of the 170k I have left, rather than tossing another 90k into this questionable spot. Really curious to see what others have to say here.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM

Interesting hand to me as well, I face this quite a bit and am considered I guess weak-tight because I insta-fold this with no reads on the guy... My view is why would the person take this line at this point with his entire stack? With no reads, I just can't see calling, but would love to hear others explain how you can [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Good analysis seke and agree

the initial min raise suggest to me 77-jj, aj, aq maybe AT, 66 or kq s

i rarely put people on killer hands pf with only a min raise. for me they either limp hoping to push or bet the 3-4 times bb.

so with that range, and the flop action i think he's got a hand. the instapush after the turn says he saw the two spades and possible flush opps and wanted t drive any sort of pot odds out.

I folkd this just as quick as he bet
Old 03-01-2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the responses, I agree that this is a fold, and thats what I did. But does anyone plays this hand differently? I don't understand the guy's flop bet. He hadn't seen me play, so he has no reason to think I'm going to raise him, unless he thinks the chipleader is always looking to make a play. The bet just seemed so weak that I was sure he would fold to a raise. Should I have raised less? Is calling even an option on the flop?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Your flop line was great, IMHO.

Calling the flop and raising the turn often looks a lot scarier than raising the flop. Many of us suggest doing that when you are on a semi-bluff. However, here, I think there's a very good chance that he will fold after his weak flop lead and a good chance that you are ahead, so I like the raise on the flop. Once he instacalls that, I'm done putting chips in unimproved. You could have raised a little less, but the big size of your raise should have pushed him off a flush draw, so I think it was a good spot to juice the raise a little more.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM

That was my reasoning exactly Seke. The hand felt very awkward after I played it, but it looks a lot better now after discussing it.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:14 PM

Yes I think u played it fine. I like the PF call and then the flop raise. The insta call followed by the push without a read on him make this an easy fold for me on the turn.