Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Specific directory hangs in Windows

I have a specific sub-directory in my Windows which freezes whenever I click on it. Unfortunately it has a bunch of my music files in it. I have backups but I have been re-ripping my CDs recently at a better bitrate so the backups don't have all that time I've been putting in. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, what happened was I was trying to delete files out of this directory and then that window froze, although the rest of windows was fine. I had to end the window in the task manager. Since then, whenever I click on that directory it freezes the window, with the rest of Windows working fine.

Unfortunately, now the larger "Music" directory within which this faulty directory is contained is also freezing when I try to access it. Ideally I'd like to fix this problem although I'd be willing to just move all the other subdirectories/files aside from the faulty directory to a new location. A friend suggested a Linux boot disc from Ubuntu. Any other suggestions? Thanks to all!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Specific directory hangs in Windows

I'd recommend an alternative file manager, like FreeCommander(http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-ma...ommander.shtml).

I'm sure there are plenty of other alternatives, but that is the first I found on google.

If it was me, I'd just use DOS and move the files to a different directory.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Specific directory hangs in Windows

[ QUOTE ]

If it was me, I'd just use DOS and move the files to a different directory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. Having used Windows for so long I almost forgot about still having DOS around.