Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Teach me how to not be a moron

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't bet the turn - KQ comprises such a big part of OR's range, it's not even funny; so do many made flushes. When you bet the turn, you're committed on the river and the only hand you LOVE to see here is KJh. That's wishful thinking.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Also fwiw preflop is a fold for me.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM

I think everything else is fine. If this is the kind of tournament where people donk/call total nonsense on the flop, then I'd raise more (like shove - because neither FDs nor kings ever fold) or less (because no one ever has a clue about pot odds and bet sizing and this lets you put in a second barrel and fold when CR shoves his made flush). But I think you played it fine from the flop onwards.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Yeah I think you guys are right, at first I advocated a bet on fourth street but it is pretty unlikley we are still ahead at this point and if we are we probably have no FE. I also like registrar's observation about preflop. Everytime I see a shorter stack limp from UTG warning signs shoot out. Alot of the time these guys are just asking to be raised so they can push and collect some of the dead money in the pot or even try to triple up.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Oh man, UTG+1's stack...I misread, I thought he has 5000. Change my entire post - this is at terrible limp, take it out of your arsenal immediately. Raising is terrible too.

Barry
Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments on any street would be great. Villain is LAG after 50 hands, raising 15% of hands preflop, and VP%IP 36%.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t10051)
CO (t4788)
Button (t7770)
SB (t5093)
BB (t5125)
UTG (t5600)
UTG+1 (t1660)
MP1 (t2930)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t800) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, SB folds, BB calls t600.

Turn: (t2400) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t2400) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1000</font>, Hero calls t1000.

Final Pot: t4400

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not bet the turn. I hate betting the turn here. If you bet the turn, you are going to have to bet more than 1/2 pot to not give him the implied odds he needs to make a flush with say K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It would be sick if you bet say 1500 on the turn and he shoves 2000 more.

I like the way you played it. On the river, I think its 50/50 for a call/fold. As another poster said raise the river, which is TERRRRIBLE. I don't think you will get paid by KT or KJ that often and you will get re-raised by a flush which you will have to call getting like 5 or 6 to 1.

I think you played the hand fine, I might have raised a little more on flop to 1000. The river is close, I usually call given your description of the villain.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:46 PM

The preflop limp is perhaps a little questionable. Besides that I think you played it fine. Normally I'd say "bet the turn", but I think checking is good as it could motivate villian to bluff at river since he's a LAG. Also, a turn bet would need a lot of your stack going in anyway. So good play. River is close to a fold IMO, but again with the way you describe villian I see nothing wrong with calling it.