Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM

Default gambol preflop, get huge flop

Fun full 40 game. Crazy Mike is on my left and the rest of the table is spazzy. Mike is actually playing "tight" by which I mean probably a quarter of his hands or less but everyone seems to think he is playing close to 200% from the way they are playing against him. They are also terrible so they don't notice anything ever and if Mike started to play Antonius-like poker they wouldn't have a clue.

I limp UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Mike raises next in, 20 coldcalls, I limp/3bet, Mike caps. Flop 7-8 ways for 4 bets.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds check, I bet or c/r? Mike's range probably includes some wacky possibilities 9Ts+/any 2 sooted broadways as well as real hands and probably any pocket pair he raised to begin with.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: gambol preflop, get huge flop

Perfect spot for a check raise. You want to trap the whole field. The last thing you want is to bet and have Mike narrow the field with a raise. Even if the flop checks around, its not the end of the world. You dont have a made hand to protect(you just have a boatload of equity that you need to maximize)
Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM

I say C/R cap the flop assuming you'll likely be getting atleast 4-1 on a cap. One pair isnt gonna win this pot so I dont think there needs to be any talk about donking the flop to get crazy mike to raise with his AK/99 to help clean up your J/T outs. I would just play this hand for pure value and build this pot higher on the flop.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 AM

Does anyone else thing not 3betting PF here is fine -- as this game is quite good and everyone's going to be making lots of mistakes postflop, pushing a marginal edge here might not be that great?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else thing not 3betting PF here is fine -- as this game is quite good and everyone's going to be making lots of mistakes postflop, pushing a marginal edge here might not be that great?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its fine, but it is hard to capitalize on peoples pf mistakes by letting them see the flop cheaply.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM

I was thinking about this earlier, is it actually +EV to raise JTs when everybody gets in, or did you do it just for fun?

I'd go for the c/r on the flop
Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think your edge with JTs is that marginal here? i bet its higher than you think
Old 06-18-2007, 12:03 PM

I don't see how high your edge can be in an 8 way pot.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how high your edge can be in an 8 way pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if hero has the highest diamond draw thats already a substantial edge imo

we might need a pokerstove tho to confirm
Old 06-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Am I missing something? You didn't describe how the table has been playing but for a typical game with one maniac, this seem like chip spewing. I can see the tactic of using a maniac to your left to build huge pots when you have a big hand. But JT suited UTG seems crazy to me. I would wait until I had better position to do this.

Pre-flop. Seems like folding would be the best play unless the table is averaging 6 to the flop for a single bet. After it came back to you raised, wouldn't calling be better than 3-betting?

Flop. You flop good. I think you have the best draw and pumping the pot is called for in the 8-way pot. Check-raise and build it.

How bad do I have the pre-flop play?