Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: getting autographs at wsop

[ QUOTE ]
Where would be the best place to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a check made out to you.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM

I follow the Bill Russell philosophy. When asked for an autograph, he would say, "no, but I'll shake your hand." I've shaken a lot of hands, but have no signatures. It lets both of us keep our dignity.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I follow the Bill Russell philosophy. When asked for an autograph, he would say, "no, but I'll shake your hand." I've shaken a lot of hands, but have no signatures. It lets both of us keep our dignity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, who are you? why would anyone want your autograph? can I shake your hand?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 AM

5 Year old,

I think everything following "say," can be attributed to Bill Russell, unless CJ comes back and disagrees.

I never got people who autograph hunt, but each to their own - just dont be too insistant i guess - its like if you go to a football game, you dont ask for the autograph during the match, you do it either side, or at half time, but you never chase them down for it because whilst that autograph might be important to you it wont be for the pro in question.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I met some guy who was wearing a white ball-cap that was signed in black sharpie pen by every main-event champion he could find. He had gotten every living champ except for a couple I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not an autograph person, but this is kind of cool.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM

when i give autographs at foxwoods i am kinda flattered, i will give them during cash or tournament play, but im an easy going person
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I trust that those bashing those interested in autographs from poker players also feel the same way about getting autographs from football and baseball players and such?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that those bashing those interested in autographs from poker players also feel the same way about getting autographs from football and baseball players and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think wanting a poker players autograph is pretty weird but I don't feel the same way about athletes.

This might have something to do with the fact that I can play on a TV poker tournament and I can make a final table but athletes to have talent that I could never achieve. Either way I am just not awed by poker players like I am by top athletes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood the allure of wanting an autograph from a sports figure or celebrity. It would never even occur to me to ask for one from a poker player.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM

I'm involved in an up and coming sport and play on a professional team. We've recently got some TV coverage and been holding events in well publisized locations. With that comes a lot of kids looking to get autographs from the top players of the sport. After playing for 12 years, I can tell you it's a pretty cool feeling to finally be recognized for the hard work and dedication that I put in. I don't live for people asking for my autograph, but it is pretty cool to see that other people do care. It's difficult to do signings when you just lost a major game, but it comes with the territory. That is quickly made up for when you win an event and all the kids rush to get you to sign their shirt, hat, jersey, etc.

I imagine that the majority of the poker pros out there feel the same way. I'm sure they feel good that their sport of choice is finally accepted by the masses. They are finally being acknowledged as great players and appreciate the support of the fans. At some point tournaments will have overlays because of all of the outside sponsorship involvement, and the reason that will happen is because of the fans that enjoy the game. The pros will then see returns from the fans and supporters of poker. In the mean time they'll continue making money on their books and merchandise which again is supported by the fans and amateur players.

What I suggest companies like Full Tilt and Poker Stars do is having a booth at the events, and have a time when all of their pros at the event will be there for signings. You then get most of the signing out of the way at a designated time. This is what we do at events, and it goes over pretty well.

The more accessible the pros are the better for Poker.

-Ron