Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Nevada - most dangerous state in the U.S!!??

Yeah, New York's very safe these days. Even when our "dens of inequity" are being robbed.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 PM

If people are basing these "most dangerous" cities and states from the Morgan Quitno Press "study", you might be off base. Morgan Quitno says that they base their rankings from FBI crime statistics, but the FBI explicitly says that you cannot/should not make some general ranking of cities based off their statistics.

The president of Morgan Quitno Press is also a shameless self-promoter, which could also impact the rankings. Morgan Quitno issued the press release that St. Louis was the most dangerous city literally hours after the Cardinals won the World Series. They also "coincidentally" named Atlanta the most dangerous city in 1996 when they hosted the Olympics. Scott Morgan, the company's president, was asked if the timing of these releases were merely publicity stunts, and he could only respond, "Well, I wouldn't call it a 'stunt'."

I wouldn't panic over these statistics.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of bums trolling around asking for change, but I've always thought they're harmless. There must be something in the desert air that makes people batty???

[/ QUOTE ]

bumfights links from another thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZTWAr79_tQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWc2...ed&search=
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Most dangerous cities? Compton? Oakland? Atlanta? Safest ones in North Dakota and Idaho? Yeah... I notice a trend here. Disclaimer: I'm not racist.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:23 PM

I thought I was going to have to shoot a guy once while in Vegas.

He didn't know how to pull up to a gas pump, damaged his car on the island, and got insanely pissed cuz I got there first pulling up the proper way. He jumped out of his car with a bat and wouldn't stop yelling threats at me. I just stared at him and filled my tank, but if he'd had taken two steps closer, the murder rate would've went up by one that year. He was [censored] nutso!

Oh, and he had local plates.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in NY and Las Vegas. The latter can be a VERY DANGEROUS town because many of the degenerates appear as normal folks. I have never been scared in NY EVER. In 1 year in Vegas I was knifed, had 2 cars stolen, had a pimp chase me, a dude pull a gun, my dog was crushed by a runaway car and I was mauled by some [censored] PIT BULL at the Desert Breeze dog park........Crystal meth, coke etc are everywhere, bums roam free, pimps, hookers, meth labs etc are at most of the rental condos etc etc, wanna hear more

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what did you do to incite a pimp to chase you? Did you stiff a ho, or did some crazed pimp randomly decide to come after you? Trip report please.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft, rape

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you said rape twice

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I like rape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(mods, I thought B&M would apply here, since there are a handful of aspiring B&M pros)

I was perusing the net on living conditions in Las Vegas and good places to live and was stunned that Nevada was the most dangerous state in the US to live in. I would have thought NJ, NY, CA, and Michigan rank higher on the danger scale.

(FWIW- 1. Nevada 2. Louisiana 3. New Mexico 4. Arizona, 5. Maryland)

I can't remember ever being afraid in the three times I've been to LV. I'll admit, there's a lot of bums trolling around asking for change, but I've always thought they're harmless. There must be something in the desert air that makes people batty??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in NY and Las Vegas. The latter can be a VERY DANGEROUS town because many of the degenerates appear as normal folks. I have never been scared in NY EVER. In 1 year in Vegas I was knifed, had 2 cars stolen, had a pimp chase me, a dude pull a gun, my dog was crushed by a runaway car and I was mauled by some [censored] PIT BULL at the Desert Breeze dog park........Crystal meth, coke etc are everywhere, bums roam free, pimps, hookers, meth labs etc are at most of the rental condos etc etc, wanna hear more

[/ QUOTE ]

You either must be very unlucky or trouble must follow you everywhere.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 AM

Nevada probably has a high violent crime/total crime rate on a per capita basis because per capita only counts residents. The transient(tourist) population of nevada or new mexico or louisiana or arizona is probably pretty high. In the case of Maryland, it has baltimore. If there was ever a city with a bad violent crime rep its Baltimore.