Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Default The purpose of Stars 10NL?

I'm trying to figure these cash games out and work my way up. I started on 2NL, currently am on 5NL, and am looking to moving up to 10NL (all on Pokerstars).

The thing is, the max buyin for 10NL is the same as 5NL ($10)... is there really any point to playing 10NL? Wouldn't the higher BB make for a higher variance game? Should I continue to grind 5NL and jump to 25NL when my BR is sufficient or will there be a difference in play between 5NL and 10NL that I should expose myself to in order to eventually move onto 25NL?

I know, a lotta questions and I may be better off just going ahead and playing a few thousand hands of 10NL and see where I'm at but I'm interested in other's opinions because offhand it seems kind of pointless to have the stacks stay at the same size.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: The purpose of Stars 10NL?

Only difference I see off hand is that the average stack sizes at $10 NL will generally be larger than those at the $5 NL even though the max buyins are the same, so I'm guessing you will be faced with alot more bigger pots off hand and may encounter more bigger stacks at the new $10 NL with higher blinds.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Higher BB means higher variance, yeah... but also higher EV.

Basically you're going from small deep-stack game to a bigger medium stack game. You'll make more profit on all your run-of-the-mill hands (i.e. where you don't stack people).

In other words, you should make money quicker at 10NL than at 5NL. It'll also be handy to get used to the 100BB buy in. Plus... it'll be fun!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:55 AM

I have been thinking about the same thing. However, I have to admit, though max BI is same for .2/.5c and .5/.10c, the overall play at 5/10 does seem to be better than at 2/5c, you see more TAGs and aggresive play IMO. I am also looking to move to 25NL and I am doing pretty well at 5 and 10NL but still don't think I am crushing it to be able to move to 25NL.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 PM

thanks for your input guys... I'm def. gonna take a crack at 10NL and see what happens.
Closed Thread