dowload status bar
forecasterfox
google toolbar
Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Post your favorite Firefox extensions/themes

[ QUOTE ]
if you use a laptop, switchproxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this further? I read the description on the site, but still have no idea what this does or how it would help me.

I'm not all that computer smart compared to most members of this forum, so don't be afraid to sound condescending.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Along with others already mentioned, Greasemonkey.

Favorite scripts:

LookItUp: Allows you to highlight text on any web page and look it up on various websites and search engines. For example, if I'm read something about Ken Griffey Jr. and I want to look up his bio on wikipedia. I highlight his name and press 'w'. It brings up his wiki page in a new frame on the current page, and closes it when I de-select the text. Or, say I don't know what SIIHP means. I highlight the text and press 'u' to look it up on urban dictionary. Or, I read something about a car and want to know what it looks like. I highlight the car model and press 'i' to do a google image search for it. It easy to add new search engines and websites as well.

Textarea resize: If you're entering something into a website (eg. this post) it allows you to resize the text area if you find it too small/big with keyboard shortcuts. I extended it to automatically resize all text areas on this site because I can't stand how small the default text area for posts is.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you use a laptop, switchproxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this further? I read the description on the site, but still have no idea what this does or how it would help me.

I'm not all that computer smart compared to most members of this forum, so don't be afraid to sound condescending.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said "if you use a laptop for work". There are also a few situations where you might want switchproxy even if you use a desktop machine.

Basically, I used switchproxy a lot when I used a laptop at home and at the office. At the office I was required to use a proxy, but at home that proxy was not reachable. It's a pain to manually switch back and forth twice a day, this extension does the switch in literally 1/2 a second.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 AM

Image Zoom - You can shrink down images that would screw up the forum margins.
searchOnTab - Opens a new tab when you use the search bar so that you can keep the tab you are on the way it is.
NoScript - Selectively enable scripting.
FireBug & Web Developer - Two great extensions that make it easy to see tons of information about the source code of a web page.
Gmail Space - Use your gmail account like an ftp folder.