Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: For Americans: Does it embarrass you that George Bush is Presiden

Politics in tl;dr = bad idea.

This thread sucks.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea. I think the lounge can have different topics going at the same time.

If DB had worded it "Does it embarrass you that Clinton was president?" Would it still be a bad idea or would it suddenly become a lot more fun? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 11:31 PM

CW,

I disagree w/ your first point, but kind of agree w/ your second. We've had some successful political threads in the Lounge, but this isn't one of them. It's just a topic that's too loaded.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CW,

I disagree w/ your first point, but kind of agree w/ your second. We've had some successful political threads in the Lounge, but this isn't one of them. It's just a topic that's too loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh @ Wook for editing a post after DB said he was going to leave it alone...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If DB had worded it "Does it embarrass you that Clinton was president?" Would it still be a bad idea or would it suddenly become a lot more fun? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, would that have opened the door for a lot of non-Americans to post views looking down their noses at us dirty ignorant Yanks?

I think db made his opinion of Bush pretty clear with the OP and title. That's fine. Let Americans answer, and smug pricks like TOAFK keep their opinions to themselves.

Or, should I start a thread, "Does it embarrass you that the UK started the Opium Wars to even out the balance of trade re: tea?"

Any nation has something of which it's not so proud.

*sigh* This is why I don't post in Politics. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, would that have opened the door for a lot of non-Americans to post views looking down their noses at us dirty ignorant Yanks?

I think db made his opinion of Bush pretty clear with the OP and title. That's fine. Let Americans answer, and smug pricks like TOAFK keep their opinions to themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip, DB has stated several times that he really likes Americans. I remember him once saying that Americans were really friendly and polite. Also, I happen to know that he is not very political as he's stated it many times. I think that DB's position on politics is similar to fyodor's, he thinks ALL politicians are corrupt. At least I think that's what he thinks. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Hopefully he'll pop in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't take his OP as some kind of attack on our great country, I took it more as curiosity - How do those Americans feel about their president now that he is under attack by so many outside of his country? Do they still support him? Are they embarrassed? I guess I just took it as more inquisitive [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. It's a fair question if you ask me. Again I might be wrong. But that was my read on it.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:06 AM

This is why I don't post in Politics [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The simple answer is - No.

And it has nothing to do with who is President. I would never say to anyone from another country "Oh, I'm sooo embarrassed that XXX is our President." I just don't believe in bashing our President to a bunch of people that aren't citizen's of this country. I'll deal with my own politics thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, everyone else on the planet has to deal with US poitics whether they like it or not and have no say in the matter.

During the last election, everyone and his dog outside The US had an opinion on the US election. There were polls run in lots of countries to get an international opinion.

American citizens came out spitting on TV to tell the world "stay outta our politics - it's none of your business"

But American politcs affects everyone on the planet, and people who vote for George Bush and his "family values" and other "War on Terror" nonesense are making that choice on behalf of the rest of the planet.

When The US changes its foreign policies and keeps out of other people's business then maybe other people will keep out of American politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are an US citizen then yeah it really is none of your business.

It goes both ways, the actions of many people in the world can effect me and anyone else. It's happened throughout history. If you don't like the actions of the US or any other country then make them stop. Pretty simple really.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 AM

I am embarrassed by him, and have said so to many people from other countries.

1) He has created an imperial presidency that is counter to what makes America great.

2) He sees his highest calling to the Bible, rather then the constitution. Other nations must scoff at this.

3) Guantanamo Bay & Abu Gharib are embarrassments to the ethical standards Americans seek to showcase to the world.

Wiretapping on Americans is a disgrace.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for Bush twice and if he runs again I will vote for him again. Karl Rove is genius enough perhaps to pull off a third try at president for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure Gold!
Closed Thread