Default Re: **OFFICIAL SWEAT YOUR MOD WSOP 2K NLHE\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gg justin, congrats and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 AM

Congrats on your third place finish, Justin.

Yes, I covered this event for PokerNews.com. I wish I could have done the final table more justice, but the conditions were particularly grueling for me in the Bluff control room today. There are times when I post incomplete information on a hand, but it's only because I couldn't get all of the information. The entry where I wrote "a shortstacked player moves all in" was because I had heard part of the action (that part), but not all of it. I didn't forget anyone's name, but I had partial information secondhand because I couldn't see the monitors. I have a general policy of reporting as much accurate information as I can, even if it's incomplete. Better something than nothing, right?

Regarding deals, Harrah's has a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. The strict rule is that players can't talk about deals at the table (even if it's not televised), and Harrah's can't be involved in any way. (Harrah's could potentially be liable if a deal went sour, or the TD could be brought into court, or whatever.) So whoever finishes first is paid first prize money, and then he can decide to distribute it after the fact however he'd like.

(I believe Harrah's is more flexible with backers and things like that when a player actually cashes out at the cage. I'm not sure about this though.)

So if players take a break and make a deal, they either need to trust each other to stick to it, or write up an impromptu contract and sign it. If it were me, I'd get signatures from everyone, and a witness on a scrap of paper or a napkin if nothing else was available. And I'd make sure I had an original. If there were three of us, that would be three napkins. But a six-figure prize is enough for me to spend ten minutes signing napkins.

On the official Bluff broadcast, Sean McCabe briefly mentioned the dealmaking, but was then told that they aren't allowed to discuss it on the air. It might be a liability issue. As for me, the only clear instructions I've received in my tournament reporting career is that Jack McClelland (at Bellagio) doesn't want the media reporting about deals in their prelim events. (The WPT forbids deals at the WPT Final Tables, but there is potential movement away from that policy in the future.) Jack McClelland *will* go out of his way to help players chop or divide the prize money, so trust between players isn't an issue.

FYI, this is only the third time at the 2007 WSOP where I've witnessed a deal being discussed at a final table. I was never privvy to any details -- and I wouldn't report them even if I was. The aspects of any deal is strictly between the players. If they want to talk about it later, that's their choice.

Congratulations again to Justin -- I hope my online coverage didn't let you down too much. I was giving it 100% of my effort and concentration, just like I always do. I wish I could have done better.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gg justin, congrats and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 AM

2 + 2 sick score, sick FT, just short of a bracelet once again.
Nevertheless, GG Justin, so much for being unhappy with your live performances.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 AM

Everyone give Travis a break, he had just busted and the fact of the matter, he WAS the best player. I obviously chopped 3 handed if you couldn't tell by the A3 shove. Thanks for all the support and well wishes I really really appreciate it all guys. Makes me feel even better to know I had a ton of people rooting me on.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:50 AM

BJ,

it seemed obvious from players complaints here that the bluff coverage was spotty at best. i have no doubts that hindered your ability to report completely. your job is certainly a thankless one.

and justin,

gg again.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 AM

Congrats Justin.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 AM

may/june heater (!!), gj man, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I obviously chopped 3 handed if you couldn't tell by the A3 shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate