Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Default $500NL Live Action @ Rio - AA - How\'s My Read?

10 handed $2/$5 - Raise $25 = steal. Raise $15/20 = action.

Hero: Seat 9 in BB. I've been at this table for 8 hours (after busting out of Event #27) and chipped up from $500 to +- $1300 (CL). I've made some sick reads in the last few hours. Picked off several players several times while not in the hand. I've been very TAG and I've got a couple guys scared of their shadows [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] I have bet virtually every flop when I took the PF lead with LESS THAN 3 opponents with a =/-75% muck rate. I've c/r'd maybe once since Villain sat down and ended up mucking bottom 2 pr to a flopped flush (lots of people showing their hands at this fun table). I've shown some very tough laydowns with good calling odds and was correct which boosted my image even meaner. I've played 99% straight ABC poker and everyone seems to be waiting for me to run a big bluff, and I keep disappointing them.

Villain: Seat 1 $600, been at the table 1.5 hours. Early 50's, businessman, conservative, quiet, tight/passive. Has only talked to Seat 2 whom I felted twice before he sat down. My guess is their exchange doesn't include how well they like me since I've snapped Villain off twice (both times with premium hands) from the BB and never showed.

UTG folds. Villain raises to $15. Seat 2 & 3 call. Folds to Hero in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Pot = $50 after rake.

I give Villain credit for a hand with this raise and seek to clarify the situation and start moving money to the middle of table.

Hero Re-Raises to $50. Villain quick calls $35. Fold. Fold. Heads up to the flop! Pot $130

I give Villain KK 70%, QQ 20%, 10/10-JJ-AKs less than 10%. The PF UTG+1 pop was an action pop. 10/10-JJ pops to $30+ so I've all but excluded these holdings.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero: Bet $100
Villain: Quick call $100
Pot: $330

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero: Bet $100
Villain: All-in for $450
Pot: $880

Hero getting 2.5:1 tanks for less than 5 seconds, tells Villain, "I think you have Kings. I call"

OK all the way?

Thanx.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: $500NL Live Action @ Rio - AA - How\'s My Read?

make it 70 pre
edit: if you make it 70 pre, he will call, and there will be 150 in the pot on the flop. Then you can fire like 80 on the flop, like 125 on the turn, and the rest on the river. Your smaller raise forces you to fire fullpot on the flop, which is megascary. Furthermore, it allows villain to draw at a set pretty cheaply. As played I guess I call but I dont really feel to great about it.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 PM

uh....your read is 90% you have the best hand and you call. that sounds about right.

seriously though, raise more preflop. bet close to pot on the flop, turn should be an easy push. if you have some sort of live read/table dynamic that makes those bets too big then adjust and make a smaller bet, after all this is just about the perfect board with no draws out. basically work on getting him all-in, i don't see any need to for your comment, win or lose it kinda makes you look like a douche.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make it 70 pre
edit: if you make it 70 pre, he will call, and there will be 150 in the pot on the flop. Then you can fire like 80 on the flop, like 125 on the turn, and the rest on the river. Your smaller raise forces you to fire fullpot on the flop, which is megascary. Furthermore, it allows villain to draw at a set pretty cheaply. As played I guess I call but I dont really feel to great about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

$70 pf would have definitely clarified this situation more and made the next 2-3 bets more proportionate. But the only thing with which Villain is calling $70 here is KK, maybe-maybe QQ and I don't want 10/10+ to muck. I thought about the re-pop for a bit before I made it. I didn't want to lose Villain ($70) but I DID want to lose the 2 callers. When Villain calls Seat 2 is getting 3.7:1 and Seat 3 gets 4.7:1. I wanted to avoid the cascade effect and Seats 2 & 3 knew I don't defend my BB without a hand so I was comfy muscling them with the $50. I do see your point though. With further analysis that first call from Villain does give great odds to the J10s 98s range that I'm giving them. Good call. Thanx.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see any need to for your comment, win or lose it kinda makes you look like a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in retro. Under the adrenaline my thought was that I wanted table credit for a read before he showed instead of backing into it, claiming that's what I thought he had, (assuming, of course, I was right....)

Good point though. Thanx.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:28 PM

I pretty much insta-called because of the read for KK. I had made a couple laydowns the day before when my read said "call" and I decided that I was going to let those intangibles weigh more in my thinking and trust my gut.

Villain flipped over QQ and the look on his face was that he had me on a bluff the whole way. I guess he was the one really waiting for me to blow up the whole time. I felt great about it until later today when I replayed it in my head and decided he was actually repping 10/10 the whole way EXCEPT for the mini-pop UTG+1. I felt kinda gross after rethinking it and wanted some feedback.

Thanx.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 PM

you're pretty much a douche. next time shut the [censored] up and play your cards. you should be playing this game to get better and to make money not for table cred in the eyes of a random 2-5 table. it sounds like you have an ego problem anyway from your post. sorry for sounding harsh but people that do that at the tables annoy me more than anything. do you really want to be like fgators?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 PM

wtf

more preflop, of course you call you put him on kings
Old 06-17-2007, 07:49 PM

LOL.

FGators, is that you?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: How\'s My Read?

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much insta-called because of the read for KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain flipped over QQ and the look on his face was that he had me on a bluff the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your read was wrong...