Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: What would a 10 HCer shoot at Oakmont?

I have a 6.9 index. I played Oakmont with 3 members about 6 weeks ago. I shot 94. We played from the back tees which are probably 300 yards closer to what they played today.

If I didn't have members telling me where to leave my shots and helping me with sightlines, I would have shot 115. Also keepign in mind that I am a relatively short and accurate hitter for my handicap. I hit drives around 245-255, but rarely miss a fairway.

Actually, some members are complaining about how easy the setup of the course is.

Also, the stories of single digit handicaps at Oakmont are a bit of a fabrication. They are talking abotu single digit indexes, not handicaps at Oakmont.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Done a bit of research (asked my coac.... lol research), I reckon a 'real' 10 Hcapper from a course of average difficulty would find it exceedingly difficult to break a ton. I think if a random sample of 100 people played, the avg score would be close to 95 if played under members play (not from medal tees though, normal tees) conditions. Under conditions for the open, i'd have to say 120/30+ easy.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone on the broadcast today said 120 - and I think he was serious. Probably being about a 10 myself right now, I say that's way too high, and 95 is about right. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played it's regular members setup -- the greens are actually faster than they are for the open but the rough is lower. I'm a 10 now and I shot a 102 and I was really happy with it. I was so nervous on 1 and 2 - I took a 9 and an 11, so knock those off and I shoot 96. That course is so hard in it's normal setup, I can't imagine the open setup. Going back through my round and thinking about the shots I made and what they would be with the open setup, I would shoot about 110-115.

That course is so hard.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just play it straight down the middle and then your short game should be good enough to average 3 putts per hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't understand. You can't play it straight down the middle every time. There are holes where it's nearly impossible to hold the freaking fairway, even when you bisect it.

[ QUOTE ]
then your short game should be good enough to average 3 putts per hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly don't understand.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if a random sample of 100 people played, the avg score would be close to 95 if played under members play (not from medal tees though, normal tees) conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those tens better have above average putters. I'm a pretty solid putter and even the caddy said I would have been 115 without the touch I had.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone on the broadcast today said 120 - and I think he was serious. Probably being about a 10 myself right now, I say that's way too high, and 95 is about right. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played it's regular members setup -- the greens are actually faster than they are for the open but the rough is lower. I'm a 10 now and I shot a 102 and I was really happy with it. I was so nervous on 1 and 2 - I took a 9 and an 11, so knock those off and I shoot 96. That course is so hard in it's normal setup, I can't imagine the open setup. Going back through my round and thinking about the shots I made and what they would be with the open setup, I would shoot about 110-115.

That course is so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad was working as a Marshall this year. He said he talked to the head of the PGA and the guy said that Oakmont is the only couse in the US that could have a major championship played on it on a week's notice and still be a major championship course. Bethpage and Winged Foot are close, maybe Whistling Straits, but Oakmont is the first place they'd call.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM

I thought about this a bit more last night. I think that the number would be around 120. There are a number of holes and shots that require clubs and game that a 10 just doesn't have. 16 comes to mind immediately. It's a 231 yd. Par 3 that requires a really high draw over a trap to stick it or a left to right low iron to run it, but not too far because it's off to the back of the green.

I don't think that a 10 can expect any better than a 5 there and I think they could make a 7 without much going wrong.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm around a 5 and I think I could maybe break 100 one out of 5 rounds, with an average around probably 110. I think for a 10 handicap the average would probably be around 125.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just one more empty comment for this thread...

The typical 10 doesn't travel well. Some do, and the ones from tougher courses tend to travel better than weaker courses, but most don't travel well. A guy learns how to get it around his own yard when he's playing mediocre shots.

And I don't even want to mention what percentage of all handicaps are vanity handicaps... So many of the guys whining about sandbaggers can't shoot their number if they have to count them all...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead on.

I also think the number is about 120. I have an index just under 10 and there is just no part of my game that's Oakmont ready - not long enough with the driver, not straight enough to keep it in the fairway, can't get a chip or pitch to stop and I'm shaky enough on highly sloped greens running at 8. The strengths of my game - well-controlled iron shots and hitting 'creative' recovery shots after bad drives - aren't going to be enough.

Maybe 110 on a really good day, but no way am I under 100 on the Open setup.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That course is so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad was working as a Marshall this year. He said he talked to the head of the PGA and the guy said that Oakmont is the only couse in the US that could have a major championship played on it on a week's notice and still be a major championship course. Bethpage and Winged Foot are close, maybe Whistling Straits, but Oakmont is the first place they'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

id call augusta.