Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 AM

Default 20NL, TT in MP, facing miniraise on flop

Prima Network No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

First session after deposit. This hand came up early on. Like with so many other hands and situations on lower stakes, there are little or no info available on the opponent. Seemed like he could be a LAGish kinda player, but to soon to tell. How should i respond to the mini-raise?

UTG ($18.05)
MP ($24.90)
Hero ($19.70)
Button ($28.93)
SB ($25.65)
BB ($18.18)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.9</font>, Button calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.70, UTG calls $0.70.

Flop: ($3.70) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5.2</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: 20NL, TT in MP, facing miniraise on flop

you realised that you hit a set?
I think I call here and open push the turn.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:11 AM

Im very well aware that i hit a set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
3 callers on a broadway board. Im not sure if i should interpret his raise as immense strength or that he has doubts about his hand. I have to give him credit for AT+ here.
Could you elaborate on why you prefer to just call the flop rather than coming back over the top?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:13 AM

Coming over the top looks very scary to hands that you beat, against a flopped straight it doesn't matter. If you call and the turn card comes (which ideally pairs the board), he will see your bet in relation to the new pot size, realize it's just a slight overbet, and call.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 AM

So my thinking should be that its better to just call to assure action from hands i beat and if i draw out on the superior hand, get the remainder of his monies.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 AM

Yeah. You want to maximize your value here. How you do it is often a matter of style. You don't want to get too fancy or outsmart yourself. Matter of fact is, that I don't give much credit to flop minraises, even when they happen in multiway pots. So I'm more inclined to think that he has a mediocre A, maybe 2pair, but probably no flopped straight, since he certainly wouldn't risk pushing people out with his raise, i.e. people slowplay too much anyway and will wait for the turn to move here always, esp. since there is not flushdraw out there. I wouldn't be much surprised about AK, AQ, AJ, AT, JT here.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:06 AM

I agree, AT-AK + JT is the most likely holdings in this spot.
If someone else would go along and call the miniraise i would be much more worried. Mediocre A is unlikely here. That is me talking out of experience playing low stakes at Microgaming. Maybe on party etc A-rag is to be expected here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I might add that before coming here I have had little experience with hand analyzis and the intricate thought process of disecting a hand. Please have patience with the new guy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

/LB
Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

perfect.

now shove.